Two New Korky 4010 kits with leaky fill valves

Users who are viewing this thread

craftech

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum and I must say I am very happy to be here after seeing all the help so many of you selflessly give to others on the forum.

After reading through many posts here and looking at recommendations I thought it was a good idea to choose the recommended Korky 528 fill valve to replace the Mansfield fill valves and flush valves that leak constantly after two years in addition to the plastic lift levers on the flush handles breaking easily. The Korky kit is the 4010 Universal Toilet Repair Kit No 4010. I got it at Lowes.

The installation was easy enough, but the fill valve leaks at the top as the toilet fills dripping into the water. It shuts off fine, but I know it can't be right. All the water should go across through the tube and into the flush valve (overflow pipe) as it fills right?

So I returned the kit to Lowes and exchanged it for another one and the second fill valve leaks worse than the first one as it fills.

Have the 528 fill valves gone downhill or is really normal to hear dripping water as the toilet tank fills with these units?

John

PS: Any way to change a setting on the forum so that if you make mistakes when typing and try to correct them it doesn't "over-type" making the letters disappear as you make corrections?

4010PK-Right-Packaged.jpg

http://www.korky.com/PDF/4010.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com

That's a good question because I would not use that valve. Press the "insert" key on your keyboard, (to the right of the backspace key). Right now yours is set to overtype rather than insert .

craftech

Reaction score
That's a good question because I would not use that valve. Press the "insert" key on your keyboard, (to the right of the backspace key). Right now yours is set to overtype rather than insert .

Thanks for the tip. Which valve would you use?

Thanks,

John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your valve is normal. Not ALL the water goes into the bowl..some of it fillst the tank back up.

craftech

Reaction score
Your valve is normal. Not ALL the water goes into the bowl..some of it fillst the tank back up.

Thanks for clearing that up Jim. Funny that they call it a "quiet valve".

Can you tell me if it is also normal for the flapper to close when there are around two inches + of water left at the bottom? There is much more water left in the tank when the drain closes with the Korky flapper ball than with what I was used to with the Mansfield plunger. Around two inches. All the toliet contents drain correctly though, but I was just curious. The "levels" are as required in the directions. Fill line on fill valve around 5/8" below top of overflow pipe on flush valve. Plastic overflow transfer tube cut to proper length.
All of it an inch + below flush handle.
This assembly is really different than what I am used to.

Thanks again,

John

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The water left in you tank after a normal flush is by design. If for some reason you feel you might need a bit extra flush, you can just hold the handle up for a couple of seconds and you will use all of the tank's water. By having extra water in the tank of a gravity flusher, the depth increases the flushing pressure a bit for a normal flush.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of these universal repair kits.

People buy these kits often when a simple new fill valve, flapper, and supply line is needed then they proceed to take the toilet further apart than what is needed to use all the parts supplied with the kit. These kits being "Universal" often do not have the right parts for fixing the toilet the purchaser may have.

People are better off buying the right parts for their toilet and doing the minimum amount of work needed.

craftech

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of these universal repair kits.

People buy these kits often when a simple new fill valve, flapper, and supply line is needed then they proceed to take the toilet further apart than what is needed to use all the parts supplied with the kit. These kits being "Universal" often do not have the right parts for fixing the toilet the purchaser may have.

People are better off buying the right parts for their toilet and doing the minimum amount of work needed.

Thanks Redwood. The top of the overflow tube on the flush valve of the Mansfield had eventually broken off by the impact of the plunger coming up lifting the transfer tube and broken top of overflow tube together up in the air. The plunger would then stay up much of the time and not fall back down unless you pushed it down manually, and the then the toilet would run constantly and never fill. If someone was on their way out the door and this happened, I would come home to a submersible pump that had shut down due to overpumping. So the flush valve had to be replaced. The fill valve wasn't shutting off either (even when the plunger did fall back down or I pushed it down) because the fill valve leaked. The Mansfield handle/lift levers kept breaking because they were cheap plastic junk. So the entire inside did need to be replaced. Maybe it was the Mansfield equivalent parts I was using? They weren't made by Mansfield.

In terms of
"These kits being "Universal" often do not have the right parts for fixing the toilet the purchaser may have"

I opened the "Universal Kit" and looked at the serial/part number on the fill valve and then opened a separate Korky 528 fill valve in Lowes and compared them. They were identical serial/part numbers.

Maybe I'll try a Fluidmaster Kit on the next toilet. I have three Mansfield toilets in the house. 210's I think. Made in 1981.

This is actually fun and very informative. Thanks for these quick replies. I wasn't expecting them to come so soon, but am grateful that you guys take such a genuine interest in helping people out.

Regards,

John

Last edited by a moderator:

craftech

Reaction score
The water left in you tank after a normal flush is by design. If for some reason you feel you might need a bit extra flush, you can just hold the handle up for a couple of seconds and you will use all of the tank's water. By having extra water in the tank of a gravity flusher, the depth increases the flushing pressure a bit for a normal flush.

Thanks Gary. That makes perfect sense.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Korky Quietfill, may leak a bit of water during fill at the top.
It's part of the anti-siphon and is normal.
The water helps fill the tank, it all gets used.

The Universal flush valve in the kit is adjustable for height, as is the fill valve.

I don't believe the flapper will drain the entire tank. Most tanks never drain all the way anyway.

4010PK-Right-Packaged.jpg

http://www.korky.com/PDF/4010.pdf

Last edited:

craftech

Reaction score
The Korky Quietfill, may leak a bit of water during fill at the top.
It's part of the anti-siphon and is normal.
The water helps fill the tank, it all gets used.

The Universal flush valve in the kit is adjustable for height, as is the fill valve.

I don't believe the flapper will drain the entire tank. Most tanks never drain all the way anyway.

Thanks Terry. It is a pleasure to meet you.

John

collinerd

Reaction score
I just installed a Korky fill valve, but it continues to leak a little even after the tank has filled. It also sounds like its really struggling to hold back the pressure from the water line. it makes little hisses, but it can only be heard when the tank lid is off. My previous fill valve didn't have problems with my water pressure...
Is this normal or a bum-valve?

thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What IS your water pressure? If it is over 80#, the valve may not work, and most places require a pressure reduction valve to lower it.

collinerd

Reaction score
What do I need to check my pressure level?
Since yesterday, the valve only hisses for a short time after the toilette is flushed, it seems to calm down eventually now.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Go to a plumbing store or a big box like HD and you can get a pressure gauge that is set up to screw onto a hose bib like the washing machine, an outside faucet, or you can buy adapters and screw it onto a faucet. Only about $10 or so. You may want to find one that has a max pressure tattle tale. The max pressure may really surprise you (like late at night when nobodies using water in the town and they're refilling the towers or if you have a check valve in your plumbing and the WH is firing).

hudracer

Reaction score
Intermittent "hissing" with Korky anti-siphon valve

I have a Korky anti-siphon valve that makes a filling sound or a "hiss" approx. every 20 seconds . It just began today. I have adjusted the height of the valve and re-locked it but the noise continues. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the flapper is leaking, then the fill valve will keep refilling.
Check to make sure the flapper is good.
There was no reason to change the height of the fill valve.

If the flapper isn't holding water, that will need to be changed. Turn off the water to the tank, and see if the water level drops in the tank.

If the water stays in the tank, then the assembly cap may need replacing. That will be a $2.50 part at Lowes that can be replaced in less then a minute without tools.
www.terrylove.com/korky

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If that Korky valve uses an "air chamber" to shut off, like their original ones did, then a leak in the "O" ring will allow it to start leaking. AND since the air bubble is only regenerated at every flush, once it starts leaking, it will continue FOREVER, or until someone flushes the toilet.

hudracer

Reaction score
Terry,

The water did not stay in the tank. I removed the flapper, cleaned and reinstalled it, and that seems to be worrking. Thank you for the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks