Two Lever Bathtub Stem

Users who are viewing this thread

EDanaII

Reaction score
I'm a wee bit confused here. I have two bathrooms with two lever systems. One for hot and one for cold and the hot turns to the left while the cold turns to the right. I replaced my master bath stem a few years ago with a Price-Pfister (PP-341) stem labeled hot/cold and now it turns in the same direction as the cold. Searching the All Knowing 'Net on how to reverse such a stem yields no information and, in fact, tearing apart both my old hot stem and comparing it to the replacement stem seems to show they are not reversible. Searching again the 'Net for a stem specifically for the hot water side also yields nothing for me.

Mind you, this is not a serious issue and I can live (and have lived) with it, but... why can't a find away to make or find a stem that is consistent with my original configuration?

What am I missing here? Clues greatly appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When it said H&C it meant it works on either side, but is intended for round handles which DO both turn the same way. If you have lever handles, then you need a "Crown Jewel'" left hand thread cold stem. I have some, but they do not have a number on them so I cannot tell what to purchase. It is probably a 910-034, but since the descriptions can be taken either way, you have to look at one to see if it has a "left hand" thread.

Last edited:

EDanaII

Reaction score
That at least gives me something where I can start focusing my search. I didn't think to qualify it as "left hand" vs. "right hand". I searched most of the morning with as many combinations as I could think of to try and find what I needed, with no luck. Your response helps a great deal.

And, yea, I realize that hot/cold is for round nobs, but that was my dilemma either finding a way to convert what I had or actually finding a replacement for it. No joy in either case.

EDanaII

Reaction score
Alright, a quick follow up on this, I may not have been clear on what I was describing, but I don't want the cold as it's the hot lever that moves in the wrong direction, at least as both my bathrooms were installed. So, using your suggestion for search, what I find is this: https://www.plumbingsupply.com/pp.html

Specifically, the 910-013, Crown Imperial Right Hand Stem & Bonnet, Hot side for lever handles.

At least it LOOKS like the correct part. Shape and dimensions appear to be about right.

Thanks for your input, hopefully, I can get this all figured out correctly. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One problem with "hot and cold' for a tub with lever handles is that there is no consensus as to WHICH direction either should rotate. Normally, the hot opens clockwise/upwards and the cold is opposite. Some, however, prefer the opposite, (like a sink faucet), which may be what you have, in which case the "normally cold stem" is installed in the hot water

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks