Two frost proof wall hydrant advise needed; Farm and House

Users who are viewing this thread

smeylink

Reaction score
At my folks house their 15 yr old frost free wall hydrant don't fully stop running. From what I understand better to replace then try to fix. Mom hand strength isn't the best and is the one who uses the hydrant the most. I saw some 1/4 turn models, but as I suspected they aren't ball valves. Other item is for at the farm. Hand strength isn't a issue on that one.

Here are the key requirements. Suggestions on best MFG/Model?
$ is not a object but Quality is.

Live North of Madison, WI about a hour north so Frost free or drain down required (-35 deg F actual temps have been recorded).
Purchase most my plumbing from Ferguson Ent, but have the standard *******, Home Depot, Lowes options as well.

1st item: Residential water hydrant thru wall for standard garden hose hook-up. Mom uses for watering plants.

Replacing a 1/2 in dia unit and needs to be 12- 18 " in length (flush will siding to connection). We have 2 part foam sprayed and length is not a problem.
Larger easy to turn handle. Can be 1/4 turn are these better for those with less then ideal hand strength?
Want a unit that is very dependable so it is more permanent replacement. I suspect the first one was builders grade.

2nd item Farm use (filling up sprayers (1000 gallon at a time), Pressure washer 6 GPM Landa,...)
Most water flow with minimal restriction is preferred.
To fill the sprayer we do run into a nursing tank so when we need to feel the sprayer we are not waiting for hours.
We have 1 in line feeding into the building with a campbell freeze proof valve (building is heated but needed shut off below grade in case of heating system failure).
Outlet is 3/4 inch. we are needing to install a wall hydrant to use a garden hose for use outside of building. Suggestion on size of hydrant? We have about 8 ft run from Campbell yard hydrant inside building to point to exit out the wall which will have 4 90 deg fittings to complete.
Frost free and anti siphon is preferred. This line does get used near freezing conditions. We do disconnect the hose after done when weather is changing and run the water out of the hose each time to avoid burst hose.

Would we get more flow going with a old standby ball valve on the inside that we turn off and drain out manually the water verse a wall hydrant?
Hook up is garden style hose as well.

If you aren't sure of the model but have a MFG you have good reliability with please advise as well.

Thanks for your help!

Steven

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks