Two Bathroom Sinks Back-To-Back. What Double Fitting To Use On Horizontal Drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi,

In the process of my bathroom remodel, I am moving the vanity from the middle to the right end of the small bathroom. In that location it will be exactly mirroring the one in the bathroom on the other side of the wall.

The horizontal drain line that serves both sinks has a slight bow in it, so I'm going to remove that line completely and install a transition coupling and straight ABS 1 1/2" pipe with the proper 1/4 to the foot pitch.

What T or Y fitting at the end of the horizontal line would I use to connect the two p-traps of the mirrored vanity sinks? Please provide the specific name that I would ask for when purchasing them.

I'm not sure if it's permissible to lay a SanT or Y flat....

If a T or Y is not appropriate, please describe the proper way that these sinks can be connected to the horizontal drain, with specific names of fittings.

(Construction is 1967).

Thanks very much for your help.

Bluegrass Picker

Attachments

• Double Vanity.jpg
    Double Vanity.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,484
Reaction score
I think, if you were in Antartica where resources were low, any Tee would work. I have always wondered if the directional bends made a difference, when it's gravity that does all the work.

You want a Two-Way Tee, not a Santitary Tee (also called a Tee-Wye).

And the Tee will be fine as long as both sinks have their own traps. You already had that set up before you removed everything, and I doubt one sink ever backflowed into another.

You think the downgrade bow hoards water in the horizontal, but it doesn't. When the waste water stops flowing, whatever couldn't make it to the vertical, retreats back into the traps, an ounce or two at most.
Two_Way_Tee_1WHR8_AS01.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think, if you were in Antartica where resources were low, any Tee would work. I have always wondered if the directional bends made a difference, when it's gravity that does all the work.

You want a Two-Way Tee, not a Santitary Tee (also called a Tee-Wye).

And the Tee will be fine as long as both sinks have their own traps. You already had that set up before you removed everything, and I doubt one sink ever backflowed into another.

You think the downgrade bow hoards water in the horizontal, but it doesn't. When the waste water stops flowing, whatever couldn't make it to the vertical, retreats back into the traps, a few oounces at most.
Two_Way_Tee_1WHR8_AS01.jpg
Thanks for your very prompt reply.

You are correct that no sink had ever backflowed into the other and we've lived here over 40 years now.....

Thanks again,
Bluegrass Picker

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks