Tv splitters

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry J

Reaction score
I have four TVs in my house, and right now I have an old "Archer" 2 way amplifier (50-450 mhz).
I have digital cable, but no HD tvs...yet. the cables are just normal/ordinary cables
I want to upgrade my cables and amplifier,
Any suggestions???
THanks
Barry

Bpetey

Reaction score
Not sure about the splitter. The cable can be upgraded to RG6

chuckdiy

Reaction score
Yes, definitely use RG6, Make sure you scrap all of the 450 MHz stuff (splitter and amplifiers). You want to get all 1 GHz amps and splitters (even 1.5 or 2 GHz if it's availible). But first, you should see if you even need an amplifier. Turn if off and see what the picture looks like without it. You may save some money without having to buy one. Digital cable is a lot different than analog, in the sense that there is not a slow degradation of picture quality. With digital, it's either excellent, or pretty bad.....there's no in between like there is with analog.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Have you inquired about this with your cable provider? I had issues which an amplifier didn't help, called and had a comcast guy come out. He checked signal strength at the pole and replaced all the connections, then he checked out my signal at each TV and at the cable modem. He replaced all the connectors and provided and installed comcast's amplifier and then rechecked signal at the TV's and the cable modem again. I'd have to disagree with chuckdiy as there is definitely a middle ground - it's not just on or off.

Part of your bill to your provider covers services like this.

BTW- I have a cable modem, (2) HD tuners, (3) non HD drops and phone service.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My cable modem drops out every time it snows or gets real cold. I have given up getting Comcast out so have decided to DIY. Cable guys are even more unreliable than plumbers or semi-professsional plumbing designers in the US, which is really saying something. I've had guys come out, fail to do the repairs and promise a "line man" that never came.

After replacing all of the cable and all of the connectors myself, my last ditch effort is to use an Active return amplifier.

My downstream signal was too weak on the modem so I tried a passive return amp to boost this. This worked great on everything except the cable modem which then had to work too hard to send a signal back. It was shouting too loud to be heard.

Hopefully an active return amp (more expensive) will resolve my cold weather issues. I have bought an Electroline EDA-FT08300. Wish me luck.

Your modem upstream level should never go above 55. Most of the time you can access the modem diagnostics by going to http://192.168.100.1/ and look for the 'return path' or 'upstream power'. While on this page you can check your downstream signal level (forward path or downstream) and it should be between -10 and +10 (some companies allow -15 to +15 while others like -8 to +8).

Most installers would argue that a cable modem never be on a split connection if this can be avoided.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Cable guys are even more unreliable than plumbers or semi-professsional plumbing designers in the US

Most installers would argue that a cable modem never be on a split connection if this can be avoided.

I guess it helps that my wife's Uncle used to be the VP of operations of the cable company that Comcast eventually took over (I'm quite jealous of him, he gets free top tier internet/cable/phone for life). Alot of "his" employess are still in place and think highly of him. Also, the wife's best freind is shacked up with the head of the installers for the SW portion of the state. :D

Yes, a cable modem shouldn't be split. Most splitters have a main in and 1 main out which degrades the signal alot less than the other out ports.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks