Turning this single vanity into a double, help?

Users who are viewing this thread

smores

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am really hoping to be able to do this DIY, hoping you guys might have some advice.

Here are some pics of the current plumbing for the single sink:

upload png google

(My husband is a carpenter so he has some knowledge about some plumbing things but this particular project he hasn't done before.)

Okay so I see that the main drain (I think) is PVC, the trap is PVC, and the two water pipes are copper.

What all would I have to do in order to add the second sink to the left of this one? The toilet is being moved so just ignore that being so close by.

How should the drain hookup look for the second sink? I know how to add in PVC pipes but for the copper ones, would we be able to convert the new hookups into those newer PEX red and blue thin flexible pipes? How would we do that? Or would we have to literally solder on copper additions for the water pipes? And how should the layout look in the end for both the PVC drain part and the copper/might-become-PEX water pipes?

Paint drawings/sketches are welcome, any tips are welcome. Thank you!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Drawings are too laborious. Essentially, you move the vertical pipe to the left and connect the two sink drains into it. Put copper tees in the lines where the new sink goes for the water. You talk about the toilet like it is just an afterthought.

smores

Reaction score
Drawings are too laborious. Essentially, you move the vertical pipe to the left and connect the two sink drains into it. Put copper tees in the lines where the new sink goes for the water. You talk about the toilet like it is just an afterthought.

Thank you, and oh we're in the middle of moving the toilet across the room, we did most of the work today and will finish that tomorrow so after that we'll be ready to do the sink :)

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am really hoping to be able to do this DIY, hoping you guys might have some advice.

Here are some pics of the current plumbing for the single sink:

upload png google

(My husband is a carpenter so he has some knowledge about some plumbing things but this particular project he hasn't done before.)

Okay so I see that the main drain (I think) is PVC, the trap is PVC, and the two water pipes are copper.

What all would I have to do in order to add the second sink to the left of this one? The toilet is being moved so just ignore that being so close by.

How should the drain hookup look for the second sink? I know how to add in PVC pipes but for the copper ones, would we be able to convert the new hookups into those newer PEX red and blue thin flexible pipes? How would we do that? Or would we have to literally solder on copper additions for the water pipes? And how should the layout look in the end for both the PVC drain part and the copper/might-become-PEX water pipes?

Paint drawings/sketches are welcome, any tips are welcome. Thank you!

First girly, for the love of god, clean up that freakin’ work area. Pringles are delicious but keep garbage and debris OUT OF YOUR WORK AREA at all times. If I stumble over garbage, I'm throwing somebody's ass off the work site. The water lines. You may as well get a torch and sweat up those water lines. They're so damn close. there's no advantage in transitioning to a different material.

upload_2018-3-8_19-8-4.png

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can run the two sinks into a single trap. Some prefer to have separate traps, but that gets more involved and doesn't necessarily buy you a lot. The drain lines (other than the trap) appear to be galvanized. You may want to consider changing that out as it tends to rust from the inside out and you'll never get a better opportunity to do it. In the process, it starts to get rough inside and tends to catch hair and crud on that roughness. The line going up and then to the left is a vent, and it may be okay since it stays mostly dry.

smores

Reaction score
I found some examples, should ours be done like A or B here?

A.
B.

And then these don't really show how the actual water pipes end up altered in a way that we could recreate, I'm just trying to get a visual example to go with you guys' advice. At this point what I understand about the water pipes, as Hj said to attach T connectors coming off the copper pipes, leaving the copper pipes where they currently are, and then would I add the P-trap and everything for the second sink making an identical setup as the first sink? Is that right?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It depends on how far apart the sinks are. The code requires the vent to be within certain distances of the trap, which depends on the diameter of the pipe used. The smaller the diameter of the pipe, the shorter the distance.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A couple of feet means your trap arm is very likely to be within the distance where you could use a central drain. As was suggested, each with its own trap. A 2" line can be up to 5' away, a 1.5" a shorter distance, but 2' or so is within that max.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
A couple of feet means your trap arm is very likely to be within the distance where you could use a central drain. As was suggested, each with its own trap. A 2" line can be up to 5' away, a 1.5" a shorter distance, but 2' or so is within that max.

You are never permitted to have more than one trap on a trap arm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks