Turning off house supply while gone

Users who are viewing this thread

Ramias

Reaction score
Are there general concerns if I turn off my house supply while gone?

Details: copper pipe in house, gas water heater.

From basement floor: water in, master shut off valve, pressure regulator, then a “water cop” secondary shut off I had installed. This allows to shut off the water remotely and programmatically.

If I turn the water off at the water cop, and don’t drain the system in the house after it, (so water off but water in all the pipes and full water heater) for a few days or even weeks (house will be heated in winter and cooled in summer) would this be ok?

Risk of pinhole leaks if pressure changes due to temp?

Toto washlet and maybe the ice maker would still be using small amounts of cold water for part of that time.

Reach4

Reaction score
Toto washlet and maybe the ice maker would still be using small amounts of cold water for part of that time.
Ice maker should not be making ice once the bin is full.

Washlet takes water when nobody is around? I was unaware of that.

A softener draws water during regeneration, which can occur when nobody is around.

Ramias

Reaction score
Ice maker should not be making ice once the bin is full.

Washlet takes water when nobody is around? I was unaware of that.

A softener draws water during regeneration, which can occur when nobody is around.
Washlet has a sort of auto-clean cycle (I can hear it) where it shoots some water in the bowl from time to time. Maybe it only does this 30 minutes after I take care of business, but I can hear it at night some times.

No softener here to worry about.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks