Turning a bathtub around

Users who are viewing this thread

xxPaulCPxx

Reaction score
I think I've found the right tub for the tiny space I have in our Master Bath: The Hydro Systems Solo (54" x 30"), gonna get it decked out with all the back and neck massage options I can. Lotsa tub for a small space.

The only problem is it has a nice long reclining area, a slanted back wall to relax against. With the toilet right next to the tub (opposite side of the slanted backrest), you have about 24" of tub area you can step into. The exact path you would have to step on to not hit the angle on the back and wipe out is about 9" wide. The wife and I are both clutzes, so I was thinking about doing something different.

Instead of mounting it as the old tub was, I was thinking about placing it backwards to the drain. This would present a full 24" flat entry to the tub. It would also require a horizontal drain line about 40" long to go back to the existing P trap in the slab. I could still have cleanout access if I installed a vertical tube into the wall (instead of the tub edge) or I could access it from the wall behind via a panel in the guest bedroom behind. The long drain tube would be angled of course at least 1/4" per foot.

Another way of putting it is this: I've got a tub with a reeealy long lip. The drain needs to be 40" long, with a second higher drain attached 8" beyond the first drain point. The Waste assembly over the P trap is now going to be 36" high instead of 14" high.

Any problems - like gigantic code violations - with this? Since I'm down to the studs at the moment I can locate the taps, faucets, and shower head with ease. I am on a slab, so moving the existing drain works would be a major pain.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You really want to move the drain under the new location. The inspector probably won't like it, and you might not like it either. And yes, I think given the area you can step in, turning it is a good idea.

Note, code requires 15" between the centerline of the toilet to any obstructions to the sides. Have you got enough room?

When I did my bath remodel, I was able to squeeze in a 6' tub. WIth the slope at the end, I've got about as much room to straighten out my legs, but I can recline on the slope. I really would have like a 7' tub, but there wasn't enough room, then it would have been heaven!

Prashster

Reaction score
If yr tub is on a slab, then moving the drain 40" might be pretty easy. I'd rent a rotary hammer, drill holes along the perimeter of the path and then chip out the center.

Last edited:

xxPaulCPxx

Reaction score
I'm hearing alot of "mights". So far I've really heard nothing definitive one way or the other on this. I do have the old 54" tub I pulled, I "might" :D set it up to test the performace of running a long drain tube back to the P trap.

sopulon

Reaction score
Smelly

The trap protects you from "smells" coming out of the drain pipe. 40" of pipe with wet, decomposing skin and hair might not smell too nice in a few years.

Al

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks