Turn off boiler for summer

Users who are viewing this thread

Ken1999

Reaction score
I currently have a Trianco Heatmaker (NP-100) boiler with a tankless coil for hydronic baseboard heating and domestic hot water(DHW). I am going to install a separate heat pump electric water heater for my DHW needs. My current aquastat settings keep the water warm 24/7 all year round. Once I switch to using a my heat pump water heater I'd like to turn off the boiler during the months where I don't need any home heating.

Is it safe for me to just turn off my boiler in the spring and turn it back on in the fall? Are there any tests I can do to confirm that my boiler won't leak or have other problems if I do this?

Ken1999

Reaction score
Drain water heater side add a boiler treatment to boiler side. Oxygen is a boiler worst nightmare.
Fitter30, thanks for the recommendation. Should I use 8-way on a non-steam boiler? I thought a closed loop hydronic system is not as affected by oxygen corrosion as much as steam boiler?

Any experience leaving a boiler like this off all summer?

Fitter30

Reaction score
8 way is used for both steam and water. If a hot water has a leak or if serviced water side fresh water is introduced into system and till air bleeds get rid of the entrained air can cause problems sitting all summer.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are you planning with the tankless coil? Keep it live and use that to supply the hybrid? Or bypass it all together? That part of your plan isn't clear.

Ken1999

Reaction score
What are you planning with the tankless coil? Keep it live and use that to supply the hybrid? Or bypass it all together? That part of your plan isn't clear.
I will be bypassing the tankless coil all together. I was thinking of removing the coil and installing blank plate but with a 24 year old boiler with corroded bolts and old gaskets it will probably be more hassle. So for now I'll just leave the coil in place and cut the input and output lines.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks