Turbid/cloudy water

Users who are viewing this thread

Josh Apgar

Reaction score
My problem is a recent onset of cloudy water after minimal water usage. We have a pool and use a sprinkler as well as some irrigation equipment. Lived in this house for seven years and have used water frequently for filling the swimming pool or irrigating the lawn. This summer we have noticed after about 30 minutes of water usage the water becomes turbid and cloudy. The well is from the 60s. It’s a relatively shallow sand gravel well. I believe it’s only 40 to 60 feet deep. We have a relatively newer softener and carbon filter (5 years old). Both seem to be functioning. No issues with salt usage from the Brian tank.

It is not related to rain, mainly from leaving a sprinkler on for 30 or 45 minutes. We used to run sprinklers and/or hoses to fill the pool for several hours in the past and never had this issue.
advice from our well guy said to stop running the water that long. However like I said it’s after about 30 or 45 minutes.

Do you think we need a well clean out or can this be remedied with pre-filter or other types of filters. I am assuming it is cloudy from sediment or debris from drawing down the well.

Attachments

• 23B41EF8-1AC6-4935-ACA9-53B21987EC5F.jpeg
    23B41EF8-1AC6-4935-ACA9-53B21987EC5F.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 142

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you think we need a well clean out or can this be remedied with pre-filter or other types of filters. I am assuming it is cloudy from sediment or debris from drawing down the well.
Let the glass sit unmoved overnight. Does the cloudiness raise, lower, or even settle completely to the bottom of the glass? Regular sediment should settle. Gas bubbles will rise.

I would run the water from both outdoor sillcocks to the ditch. Those should bypass your filters. See if you can pump out what would appear to be clay sediment. Watch that the well does not run dry, and if it does, turn off the pump to let the well recover. Try for hours. There are devices that will shut down your pump for a programmable interval if your well runs out of water. This would be useful to let you run overnight or for day. I am not a pro. Try searching for developing the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks