Tulip Dual Flush - Need help

Users who are viewing this thread

constantc

Reaction score
Hello,
I am going to get a fancy dual flush and move into the 20th century thanks to a great rebate from my city.

I went to Home Depot and the only dual flush they have is called a "Tulip"
I think the company is called "Phoenix" but I'm not sure.

Anyone info on this dual flush?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like that toilet comes from SOUTH of Phoenix . WAY south. That toilet may or may not have a green card!

I would get a name brand. Kohler makes a dual flush. Forgot the name, but the depots here carry it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't have any information on that model.

People that make dual flush are:

Toto, Aquia CST416M(MaP 800 grams)

Caroma, Caravelle 305 and 270 models (MaP 500 to 800 grams)

Kohler Sterling Rockton (MaP 300 to 325 grams)

Gerber, dual flush w/flushmate (MaP 1000 grams)

Last edited:

constantc

Reaction score
Looked at the Tulip by Phoenix. It is a piece of junk. 2" drain instead of 4" and it looked junky compared to the Caroma.

Noticed the Caroma has a seat that is angled so you kind of sink into it. I guess they are trying to align your butt to center huh?

Now I have to find a retailer that has a Caroma in stock!!
Thanks for the help

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend you compare the Caroma with the Toto Aquia dual flush as I did before you buy.
I've had mine for several months now.
see Terry's link above.

Congrats on switching to dual flush. Almost everyone says: "Why didn't they think of this earlier?"

constantc

Reaction score
which one do you have the Caroma or Toto?

I need a 10" rough in so I think the toto is out ?

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
constantc said:
which one do you have the Caroma or Toto?

I need a 10" rough in so I think the toto is out ?

I have the TOTO AQUIA. Ask Terry and the pros about rough in. good luck!

M.

constantc

Reaction score
OK, I measured my home again and I believe a 12" will work! Still, I looked at the link and the Unifit adapter is avail for 10,12,14" rough ins so tomorrow I buy the Toto Aquia! (found a dealer that has it in stock)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Aquia will work at 11.5" measured from the back wall to the center of the toilet flange.

It won't work at much less than that.

The Unifit adapters are not what the Aquia uses.
The Aquia adapter has in inlet toward the front, and the Unifit from the top.

Very different animals.

constantc

Reaction score
Ok thanks Terry. I got confused b/c the Unifit is right above the Aquia and the toilet in the Unifit diagram looks like the Aquia.

anyway, I have approx 13" from the wall to the center of the floor bolts (which, I assume, is the center of the flange)

I plan on heading over tomorrow and will measure to 2x check.

Thanks for the info

constantc

Reaction score
I got the Aquia today. It was on sale for $***, so it's a great price. With the city rebate, it ends up free.

It's a cool unit. I hope it lives up to the hype. I'm going to install tonite.

Thanks for all the good advice! I'll update when I get it working

Last edited by a moderator:

constantc

Reaction score
It's in!!
I just got it installed. I would have been done last night but the tile bit broke and stores were closed. So, isn't it always the way when you DIY? hehe

So the install was super easy and much better design than a "normal" toilet! The materials, bolts, fittings, instructions are far superior. I am really impressed.

The only thing is I got a cheapo seat but on monday I'm going to a Toto dealer and get the cool soft close Toto seat. :D

I have to say the Aquia looks really slick. I'll update on performance but so far so good.
I did hear the trickling sound after a flush but from reading here, I know it's normal.

Thanks Terry and everyone for your help, can't believe I'm so excited about a toilet! :)

constantc

Reaction score
Well, just thought I would update and keep it all in one thread. Might help someone in the future.

I replaced a old 3.5 gal toilet (made in 1955!) and the Toto Aquia is a huge improvement. I like the fact it is super efficent. It's quiet and fills quickly.

The seat height is taller but I guess that's why it has a nice strong flush. No problems dropping the kids off at the pool and of course, the smaller flush is efficient.

I figure w/ my old toilet I used 5880 gallons a year
and with the same useage, the Toto will be about 1848 gallons.

I'm sure with a family, the savings will double or triple mine.

constantc

Reaction score
OK, last post! (hope this is helping someone :confused: )

anyway, I picked up the TOTO soft close toilet seat today. I got the #114 oval seat. It was $49 locally, quite a bit more than a generic seat at $15.

No one locally had the SS204 (same except with a smoother look and hidden mounts).

Boy, the soft close is nice! Aesthetically, it is really attractive and again, Toto quality is one step above "standard". Is it worth the extra $$? I think so, the soft close will save your toilet and the quality is quite good all molded, not MDF material like a generic seat.
Man, the whole toilet is like some bathroom ferrari! :p

The Toto seat is more rounded, curved in. So you "sit in" it more. The generic seat I had was a standard "flat" surface. So far, comfort seems the same.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
constantc said:
OK, last post! (hope this is helping someone :confused: )

anyway, I picked up the TOTO soft close toilet seat today. I got the #114 oval seat. It was $49 locally, quite a bit more than a generic seat at $15.

No one locally had the SS204 (same except with a smoother look and hidden mounts).

Boy, the soft close is nice! Aesthetically, it is really attractive and again, Toto quality is one step above "standard". Is it worth the extra $$? I think so, the soft close will save your toilet and the quality is quite good all molded, not MDF material like a generic seat.
Man, the whole toilet is like some bathroom ferrari! :p

The Toto seat is more rounded, curved in. So you "sit in" it more. The generic seat I had was a standard "flat" surface. So far, comfort seems the same.

All things considered advanced function,design-quality there really is nothing else like the Aquia on the market. It's a whole new bathroom experience with the dual flush and that wild seat.
As I've said when Toto puts some advertising dollars into the Aquia-it's going to take off like a rocket.

From a long term marketing view-it's dream come true. The target markets are growing have plenty of money and no affordable competetion exists.
And...yea it does look like sports car. LOL

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks