Tub waste pipe too high

Users who are viewing this thread

Kadip

Reaction score
Hi.. trying to install an Am Std 60” alcove tub. Waste pipe with drain assembly inserted seems about 1/2 inch too high. Can i just use a PVC pipe cutter 1.5 inch pipe and take an inch or so out of the waste pipe, then put on a new threaded piece? Pic attached. Wanted to use a pro but plumber quoted $1900 to install tub. Room is totally gutted, square and floor leveled, wall and floor behind and under tub are open for total access. Is that price normal? It seems to me like max 2.5 hours work if that. Thanks for your ideas as to whether i could do the PVC cut as references above.

D051DA07-C980-4A29-9F29-EE1CF67A3EF0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a pro.

I would like the threaded fitting to be above the horizontal pipe … it has a better chance of leaking than a solvent welded joint.

Yes, cut the pipe (mini hack would work too) debur, prime, & cement the new trap adapter (threaded piece).

Like I said, I am not a pro, but I have installed a Maax Bosca tub in my house so understand what is involved. I don’t think $1900 is unreasonable based on the level of risk they are assuming (tubs are easily damaged) and there is a decent likelyhood of call back (if tubs are making noises). Also, it really is a 2 man job.

Does the $1900 include changing the shower valve? You really should do that while the walls are open.

You may get a better price if you can find a licensed plumber who operates as a one man show. The big guys have a lot of overhead to cover.

I think installing a bath tub is a reasonable DIY project, if you do your homework and know what you are doing. If you try to make it up as you go, you are inviting disaster.

Last edited:

Kadip

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the advice Weekend. Much appreciated. Yes, the $1900 included changing the shower valve ( this in in the Phila area). Plumbers are backed up 7 weeks here so the demand is strong. I will look for another licensed plumber just to get a comparison; the person who quoted $1900 is an individual plumber.

Kadip

Reaction score
Appreciate everyones help and recommendations. I did lower the waste pipe 1/2 inch on my own to get clearance for the new lower tub drain. Then in the end I did the smart thing and hired a professional, for once understanding my limits and not wanting to wake up to crumbling drywall below the tub. I did the preparation / measurement/squaring and opened all walls/floor for access and to remove rotted wood. Used an independent plumber who was meticulous and smart, and ended up paying $750 total to seat the tub and to replace the water feed lines right under the diverter and to install diverter itself. He sweated in a new copper spout pipe, added shutoff valves that didnt exist before, and replaced copper with pex in the feed lines right below diverter. Glad to not have paid $1900 as was the first bid.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks