Tub w/Integral Overflow drain installation

Users who are viewing this thread

tom-l

Reaction score
Hello..

I am replacing an old steel tub with an Americast tub with integral overflow. I have a question about the drain situation. American Standard says to install the drain assembly before the tub is put in place. Since the overflow is built into the tub material, the drain assembly (if installed according to the manufacturer) gets tightened down to the tub with a rubber wedge, brass washer and locknut. This leaves the remaining threads of the drain tailpiece hanging about 1-2" below the tub. Once installed, the drain cannot be turned. At this point, I cannot install a tub shoe as usual, since the drain (strainer) cannot be turned. I have no room to screw on the shoe from underneath and attach to the waste. Seems like I need to move the waste pipe directly under the drain and connect with a female adapter and slip connection. Is this the expected way to go? My other idea is this - forego the brass washer and locknut, and use a standard tub shoe as the tightening device, screwing down the drain assembly into the shoe with the wedge washer under the tub. This way, I could leave the existing waste pipes as is, in its original location. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks - tom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
The drain on that tub roughs-in directly under the tub outlet, not the overflow like a normal tub. I put one in before but forgot the specific details. I would set it up so you have a glue joint right under it, then just drop it in. Maybe screw a female adapter (do not overtighten) or just use a no hub coupling with a piece of plastic pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The only ones I have seen used a drain spud with holes in it similar to a lavatory drain and it screwed into the drain shoe just like with any other waste and overflow drain.

tom-l

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the replies. These are the times I really miss having a basement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks