Tub to shower pan conversion drain connection

Users who are viewing this thread

reno3204

Reaction score
Sorry, this isn't a great picture, this drain was attached to a bathtub; I have replaced the tub with a shower pan. I need to connect a 2 inch drain, instead of the current 1.5, but I don't see anywhere here to get a good cut that would allow me room to add a coupler. Am i going to have to go all the way back to the main line or does someone have a genius suggestion...
IMG_7802.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tailpiece. Swing your trap and maybe use a 45° offset in the tailpiece riser with a bell reducer in it.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is reducing from 2 drain to 1.5 going to cause a significant issue?
Generally not in this case. There are provisions in a lot of local codes for this. The case where you change a tub to a shower is a common problem and it's legal here in Iowa to make your shower into a 1.5".

Modern showers only drain about 2.5 gal per min or less. A 1.5" drain can do about 7. 5 gpm min and up to 15 gpm.

You might want to call your local authority to see if it's legal.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have room under there cut the bushing out and put a 2 inch trap. id cut it off flush with the 45 then use ram bit or take a tiny tim saw and make cuts in the bushing and chip the pieces out I think you call them axial cuts . hard to describe but a simple semi laborous thing to do probebly take you a half hour with a small tiny tim saw and screwdriver and hammer

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks