Tub to Shower Conversion Drainage

Users who are viewing this thread

cCook

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm hoping to get some advice on a tub to shower conversion that I want to do. Actually didn't want to do this for a couple more years but a shower leak made the project a bit more urgent. The old shower (top of pic 1) is going to be made into a linen closet.

I'm assuming the pipe running to the right at the bottom of the t is the actual drain line. The best way I can see to get the 2" drain for the shower is to replace the double san t (I guess that's what that is called) with a san t to the vent, a 90 from the bottom of the san t to the drain line and the 2" shower drain line with p trap on the horizontal side. The run to the old shower will be eliminated since it will be a closet now.

Am I on the right track or way off and there is a better way to do this?

Also, just out of curiosity, does the way this was ran originally meet code? Looks like a S trap to me but I'm not a plumber. From what I've read, every drain except toilet needs a p trap but was wondering if there is something unusual about this setup and it being right at a vent that makes a p trap unnecessary if this actually isn't a p trap. Thanks!

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Changing the cross with a santee will fix that. I was sort of correct before. I would not have used the sancross there, but a fixture fitting.

mustee-3060-showertub.jpg

They do make replacement shower pans with drains on the ends.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want to tile the new shower, you have lots of options, too. A drain on the end almost begs for a linear shower drain, but there are some pre-made, tileable pans that work as well with an end drain. www.schluter.com makes a tub-shower conversion as well as USG, Laticrete, and a few others. These are the sizes of the Schluter preformed, tileable trays. They can be cut down, depending on the circumstances, but the last two are for tub conversions...one where you have or can move the drain to the center, and one where you can't.
ShowerTray_Measurements_All.jpg

Once you get the plumbing sorted out, check out www.johnbridge.com for help with the shower build and tiling issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks