Tub Spout Under Flood Level

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've got a client who has this tub that has the tub spout under the flood level and they want to remodel the tub/shower valve. Obviously its a cross contamination hazard. Once I touch it I have to eliminate the hazard. I'm trying to find a way that I can keep the tub filler in its current location but eliminate the cross contamination. A vacuum breaker would work, but I cant figure out a place to put it.

IMG_0616.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What is a drain valve? The other issue is no overflow for the tub. I remember one post where an inspector failed a remodel because the modern style tub had no overflow. Any reason the spout is where it is currently? Can it be moved to under the valve body? Can a toe popper be used for the drain stopper? Is this for someone with physical disabilities? A spring loaded check valve before the spout might work. A vacuum relief or a WATTS backflow preventer?

vacuum-breaker-34.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is an existing 100yr old home. The cross handle operates a stopper for the drain only. The mixing valve has a diverter to switch to the shower head.

I'm not worried about the overflow, its grandfathered in.. just the tub filler being a cross contamination can't be grandfathered in because it presents a "dangerous condition"

Photo labels were for reference to someone elses question here.. But under the label that says water supply is the mechanism the cross handle operates.
Behind Tub.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks