Tub spout to unthreaded brass pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Goofed this up pretty good... We just bought our first house and I noticed the diverter on the tub spout was bad. I bought another, slip-on spout and was able to finally get the old spout off. The old spout was connected at the front of the spout (about 5 inches from the wall). The press fitting on the new spout begins about an inch from the back of the spout and the instructions stated 1" min, 2.5" max and if the tube coming out of the wall was longer than 2.5" just go ahead and cut it. I cut it to 2" from the wall before I realized that the fitting is too small for the pipe and that it's a pipe - not a tube.

So now I have a pipe sticking out from the shower wall that has no threads on it and I'm not sure to adapt it to fit the spout I have or another I may go get. To be clear, I know it was a stupid move - I've just never done this kind of thing before. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Post a picture.
If it's a pipe nipple, it will unthread.
If it's copper it won't.

Thanks, Terry! Pictures probably would help - here you go.

The second photo is the piece I cut off the pipe.

Attachments

• 20181116_114544.jpg
    20181116_114544.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 382
  • 20181116_114632.jpg
    20181116_114632.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 347
Reaction score
This is fantastic Terry, thank you! I'm not sure how I'll be able to remove the pipe currently coming out of the wall as it seems pretty locked up but this is a great workup. Appreciate you guys

Reach4

Reaction score
Your pictures show the deal. You should not have cut that brass nipple, probably. How much is sticking out from the wall?

You might stick a 1/2 inch bolt into the open end, and grab the pipe with some big curved jaw locking pliers. If it does not come out, maybe you could cut new threads in place. Maybe there is some kind of other fix that I am not thinking of.

Treeman

Reaction score
Terry, you are a class act for sharing your professional wisdom here. Everyone goofs once in a while. Some in the profession simply act with condescending attitude.

Us diyers need to respect and appreciate the experience, wisdom, and challenges faced by the professional trades and call on them to handle work beyond our skill and safety level.

EDIT to response below: And I was not calling you out regarding skill and safety level. Mistakes are part of learning and everyone makes them, including the pros. I really wish there was a better "middle road" between the pros and diyers like promoted here.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Terry, you are a class act for sharing your professional wisdom here. Everyone goofs once in a while. Some in the profession simply act with condescending attitude.

Us diyers need to respect and appreciate the experience, wisdom, and challenges faced by the professional trades and call on them to handle work beyond our skill and safety level.

Thank you.

Very well put, Treeman. I am definitely looking to expand my own experience but my enthusiasm was what tripped me up here, I think. Classy move, for sure Terry - thanks again for sharing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks