Tub spout stub (what to use)

Users who are viewing this thread

NavySuit

Reaction score
I'm installing a Moen positemp valve. It has combo type fittings. You can either use IPS or solder copper piping. I'm going to solder copper to the supply sides. I'm not sure about the bath tub spout stub, however. The kit I purchased came with a screw on spout. I could pipe the stub in copper and then add a male threaded adapter at the end. I'm just worried that the solder joint at the elbow might give screwing on the tub spout. My other option was be to just go with galvanized pipe. I have read that it will eventually rust.

What are your thoughts? Should I have any concerns with the breaking the solder joint when screwing on the spout. I also have access to an oxy/act torch. I could braze on the elbow for a stronger fitting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you go with pipe nipples, use brass, not steel. Then you don't have the rust issue.
If you go with copper, you would solder the male adapter on using either Mapp gass or propane.
You don't braze it on. And you don't need oxy/act.
No-Lead solder would be plenty strong. 95% or higher tin content. Or you could have picked up a slip spout and tightened it with an Allen wrench.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks