Tub spout gets flow but shower pipe does not

Users who are viewing this thread

A Carter

Reaction score
Hi, I have a shower issue that has so far stumped three plumbers and myself. It started with a plumbing company coming out to fix a leak with our shower valve, after which, we could only get water flow to our tub spout and not up to the shower head. I started by removing the shower head and still nothing. Replacing the cartridge got me nowhere as well. Looking at the valve, I noticed some metal in the top opening.

CF04-D05-F-02-D3-4-F4-B-A648-88-AC816-CE391.jpg

I told the company about this issue and they sent someone out to try and fix this issue. He tried opening up the top hole by drilling out the metal to allow water to flow but still nothing. He then tried heating the top solder joint thinking maybe there is solder clogging the pipe going up but that didn’t help either. I just tried to thread a wire down the shower pipe from the opening in the wall and it goes down to just above the valve opening before getting stuck. I also flushing water through the pipe towards the valve and I just get a trickle coming through slowly. Any ideas of how I might be able to salvage the valve or am I going to have to get it replaced?

Thanks in advance!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What was the leak from with the original valve body? There is probably solder deep inside the valve body. Put the torch back on the area and use a vac to suck it out or with an air compressor blow it out while he solder is soft. You'll just need not to overheat it.

If you have access to the other side of the wall it can be opened up and the shower pipe removed and then you can look down into the valve body.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
It sounds like solder went where it shouldn't go, and the plumber should fix this or replace the valve in my opinion, unless he warned you this could happen.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had that happen with a Moen valve. I had soldered it and the small portal to the shower head had filled with solder. I installed a new valve body and now when I solder them I take special care as to the direction I have the valve while soldering and make sure I use just a little solder.
I have noticed that the brass castings on Moen have been slimmed down and they have such a small port to the shower head anyway. It must have saved them three cents on the valve, Yeah!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks