Tub Spout Faucet connection

Users who are viewing this thread

robmaxfli

Reaction score
Hello, I've replaced my shower valve in the wall and now I am at the last part. I bought a new Moen tub faucet and it looks though you are supposed to slide it over half inch copper pipe coming from the wall. I have a threaded female drop ear connection in the wall so I bought a male shark bite fitting to thread into it - thinking I would just insert copper into the other end of the sharkbite.

The problem that I am having is that I can only hand thread the shark fitting so far but it far enough in that I cannot put my 7/8 wrench on it to tighten it. Now the shark bite is sticking out of the wall and the new tub spout would not be flush with the tile if I tried to install it. Is there another way to do this?

Some pics are attached.

thanks

IMG_1179.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 850

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Absolutely do not use a sharkbite for the tub spout. If you have a copper slip spout, you can solder a male adapter to 1/2" copper pipe, make the stub out long, tape, dope or both on the threads and use pliers to thread it in. After that, cut off to the proper length, and make sure that the pliers weren't contacting the pipe where it needs to be round and smooth. Doing this will allow a thread on spout to be installed to the Sharkbite in the wall. The next problem though is that it will continue to swivel in a circle unless you find a way to cement it to the wall.

Or pick up a spout that takes an iron pipe thread. Delta makes some like that.

Normally you would either have a copper pipe from the wall soldered to a fitting. A Sharkbite allows the pipe to keep swiveling. You don't want that for a tub spout. The spout should be pointing down and the diverter on the top. A swivel connection is no help for that.

delta-tub-spout-install.jpg

I found this picture below of a plumber removing a spout that had been installed with a Sharkbite. What a mess.

tub-spout-sharkbite-repair.jpg

Cutting the spout up to access the sharkbite for removal.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks