Tub Spout Faucet connection

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by robmaxfli, Jul 11, 2019.

1. robmaxfli

robmaxfli New Member

Hello, I've replaced my shower valve in the wall and now I am at the last part. I bought a new Moen tub faucet and it looks though you are supposed to slide it over half inch copper pipe coming from the wall. I have a threaded female drop ear connection in the wall so I bought a male shark bite fitting to thread into it - thinking I would just insert copper into the other end of the sharkbite.

The problem that I am having is that I can only hand thread the shark fitting so far but it far enough in that I cannot put my 7/8 wrench on it to tighten it. Now the shark bite is sticking out of the wall and the new tub spout would not be flush with the tile if I tried to install it. Is there another way to do this?

Some pics are attached.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Broad-Wing Hawk

Retired
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Absolutely do not use a sharkbite for the tub spout. If you have a copper slip spout, you can solder a male adapter to 1/2" copper pipe, make the stub out long, tape, dope or both on the threads and use pliers to thread it in. After that, cut off to the proper length, and make sure that the pliers weren't contacting the pipe where it needs to be round and smooth.

Or pick up a spout that takes an iron pipe thread. Delta makes some like that.

5. robmaxfli

robmaxfli New Member

Ok - thanks for both of your replies

6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.