Tub spout diverter screw into copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiki

Reaction score
We had an old house built in 50's that had something odd about the tub's copper pipe. So when we replaced the diverter the only thing that worked was a Sioux Chief smart spout tub diverter, didn't want to have plumber come out to cut and weld. Since then I've used it on two other houses, even though a standard diverter would have worked. I think Sioux is not making the smart spout anymore because I can't find it without paying $40 to $68 including shipping to Hawaii. My question is this: with a standard diverter, is the screw underneath that holds it to the pipe just screwing right into the copper? Isn't the pipe at some point going to get damaged. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

sioux-chief-smart-spout-01.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
No the setscrew underneath does not come in contact with a copper tube style spout. the copper doesn't get damaged

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
How are ALL tub spouts not designed this way??!! I've never seen this before!

Reach4

Reaction score

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Instead of having it shipped direct. Call a local plumbing supply or hardware store that handles Sioux Chief and see if you can have them put one on their next stock order.
1666213238503.png

Kiki

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. I can buy a Smart Spout at Ferguson's Hawaii for $40 plus tax. A little more than I want to spend. But now that I know the screw under a non-smart spout isn't screwing directly into the copper I'll go ahead and do that.

Reach4

Reaction score
" I know the screw under a non-smart spout isn't screwing directly into the copper "
Did you really want to say "non-smart"-- why?

Kiki

Reaction score
" I know the screw under a non-smart spout isn't screwing directly into the copper "
Did you really want to say "non-smart"-- why?
Tongue in cheek, I meant the standard diverters. Everything now is "smart". To Sioux's credit I think they came up with the branding of smart spout before smart phones, smart tv's, smart fridges became so ubiquitous. My smart phone has made me dumber;)

Kiki

Reaction score
Why not just get a tub spout with diverter copper tube size?
My husband and I are not that handy, so when we had the first success with Sioux's we just stuck with the smart spout on other houses after. If I can't get the hard water deposits out of the this smart spout we'll go with the regular tub spout diverter.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think most spouts with a set screw would slightly dent the copper, and from what I read, the spout under discussion is an exception.

I really like my Delta Faucet RP17454 Tub Spout Pull-Down Diverter. It dribbles much less than most. It is confusing to people initially: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....d-cant-figure-out-how-to-turn-on-shower.7595/

(RP17453 is same but plastic) RP5836 similar but adapter RP33794 has set screw.
https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts-product-detail?modelNumber=RP33794 is the setscrew adapter.
It may sit closer to the wall than the one I have.

Have you considered a water softener if your water is so hard?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never had trouble with a spout denting the copper . The screw doesn't contact the pipe maybe some junky one out there on eBay but a Moen or Delta whatever isn't going to damage the copper

Kiki

Reaction score
I think most spouts with a set screw would slightly dent the copper, and from what I read, the spout under discussion is an exception.

I really like my Delta Faucet RP17454 Tub Spout Pull-Down Diverter. It dribbles much less than most. It is confusing to people initially: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....d-cant-figure-out-how-to-turn-on-shower.7595/

(RP17453 is same but plastic) RP5836 similar but adapter RP33794 has set screw.
https://www.deltafaucet.com/parts-product-detail?modelNumber=RP33794 is the setscrew adapter.
It may sit closer to the wall than the one I have.

Have you considered a water softener if your water is so hard?
I cleaned up the Sioux diverter with vinegar and it's working well, only drips as opposed to stream when showering. We're selling place next month and I think it'll be ok, but will use Delta pull down if the place we're moving to needs one. Like the sleek look of it. We've tried water softener when we lived in Calif. and didn't like the slimy feel to it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I cleaned up the Sioux diverter with vinegar and it's working well, only drips as opposed to stream when showering. We're selling place next month and I think it'll be ok, but will use Delta pull down if the place we're moving to needs one. Like the sleek look of it. We've tried water softener when we lived in Calif. and didn't like the slimy feel to it.
that's good its working ok now

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks