Tub Spout Diverter and Diverter Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYdude

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking at installing a 3-way diverter valve, but I have a tub spout that has an included diverter; I plan on replacing the spout with one that has no diverter. Out of curiosity, if I left the tub spout with diverter in place, would pressure in the line not allow the diverter to be pulled anyway when the 3-way valve is switched to the tub?

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have seen diverter spouts installed with diverters installed upstream before. Obviously pulling up on the tub spout diverter won't do anything, except maybe slow down the tub filling. It won't server a purpose.

DIYdude

Reaction score
I have seen diverter spouts installed with diverters installed upstream before. Obviously pulling up on the tub spout diverter won't do anything, except maybe slow down the tub filling. It won't server a purpose.
Thanks, Terry.

DIYdude

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry.
The Grohe 29714000 three-way diverter I'm installing has a 3/4" outlet for the tub spout line. Since the line is only going about three feet from the valve to the drop ear, should I reduce it to 1/2" copper at the valve or the drop ear? Does it really matter? The plumbing in the house is mainly 1/2" copper. I've read over similar posts on the forum, but I figured I'd ask about my specific scenario. Thanks.
Grohe 29714000.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks