Tub/shower options

Users who are viewing this thread

Willl

Reaction score
:) Hi,

Looking at the sterling line of tub/showers they have a couple options that I would like clarification on if you could. Is age in place brackets necessary or recommended and should I get one with an access panel. Thanks

Willl

Reaction score
What about them brackets HJ. Do you recommend them? Probably good if somebody slips but of course the sliding doors will have handles on them. Thanks:)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you use the towel bar on a glass door for your tub/shower to catch your fall, you might just have the glass following you down! They are not qualified as ADA safety bars and are not designed to hold much of any weight. Safety bars in a tub shower are handy for any age. They need to be installed properly which usually takes some prior planning. You want the anchors to go into solid material - normally, you'd put in some solid wood blocking between the studs so the screw mounts have something solid to bite into.

For a tiled wall, www.wingits.com makes some neat anchors that fit into a hole. I used a pair in my mother's house to install a safety bar - really slick, but your holes must be very accurately placed - there's very little leeway.

To be useful, make sure that any bars in the tub/shower are actually rated as ADA safety bars - otherwise, consider them ornamentation - they may work, or they may not.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I installed grab bars in my shower years ago, when I did not need them but thought it was just a good idea. Then , twice within the last 6 years, I sprained a knee ( each one once!....I'm an equal opportunity sprainer) and those grab bars were the difference between a shower and a sponge bath!

Prior planning will make it infinitely easier to put the bars up, whenever you decide to do that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks