Tub & Shower Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

LarryD

Reaction score
I am installing a one piece tub & Shower unit (30" x 60") in a new bathroom I am building in my basement. One end of the unit will be against the end wall and I will build a short wall at the other end. Do I have to make sure there is a stud exactly 30" from the back wall, and if so, is that 30" to the center of the stud, or to the outside edge? I assume after the unit is in place I secure it to the stud walls by using the sheetrock screws thru the sheetrock and the lip on the unit. Is that correct? Is there a web site that explains that in detail? I am doing the carpentry myself and having a plumber rough in the plumbing and install the tub, commode, vanity, etc. so I want to make sure my walls are correct.

Deloris

Reaction score
If you know the mfg. of your unit you should be able to get rough-in dimensions on the internet. The company should have spec sheets for all of their products on their site. If they don't their customer service should be able to email or fax it to you.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fiberglass showers are fastened to the studs with nails or screws before the drywall (greenboard) is hung. You will want a stud, on the end to solidify the unity. When I did my 30x30, I used a double stud because I was going to hang a door. That might have been overkill, but 2x4s are cheap enough. You will also want to install the unit on a bed of mortar to take the spring out of the floor. I used a bag of Armstrong Floor Leveler and just poured it in the space after the unit was totally anchored and the drain was connected. I used this instead of mortar because I had an extra bag on hand. The unit should have an installation sheet with it, but if not, get one online from the manufacturer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks