Tub shower back up coincidence?

Users who are viewing this thread

DMS

Reaction score
Hi: Bought a second home in Florida three months ago, been living in it while doing the renovations, never had a plumbing issue until today: I use one of the tubs to take a shower, during which the water today obviously wasn't draining. It stayed clogged for ten minutes and then from another room I could hear it let loose all at once. There's a linen closet that backs up to the tub, it had some failed shelving and crude access panel in it for this tub, so I decided to neaten things up today and took out the shelving , infilled the approximate 1'x2' access panel with drywall, and gave it a coat of mud. Is it possible that infilling the access panel with drywall somehow impacted air pressure in the drain/vent causing the tub drain to clog? I found it ironic that I've used this shower for months with no issue until today.

Reach4

Reaction score
Access panels from the linen closet are fairly common IMO.

I don't think the panel would have been useful for snaking the drain.

Have you cleaned the pop-up drain of hair etc? Method varies, but often involves pulling the cover off of the lever place, and pulling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks