Tub overflow way out of plumb

Users who are viewing this thread

seldomright

Reaction score
Installing an acryllic alcove tub (Maax) to replace an old fiberglass tub/shower enclosure of same size. Using gerber drain/overflow kit. Just dryfitting everything and found that overflow pipe/tailpiece slopes back away from the tub, to the point that it is torqued up against the bottom plate of the alcove wall seen in the pic. Stepping in the tub you can hear the tailpiece rubbing against the bottom plate. I'm surprised and a bit confused that it's kicking that far away from the tub.

I'm not really concerned that it isn't plumb (should I be?), my concern is that it's already ~1" behind where old p-trap was. If I were to cut the bottom plate to provide relief I bet it would move back atleast another 3/4" if not more. Problem is the Existing trap is only ~1/2" from supply lines preventing me from getting it far enough back to line up with tailpiece, and if possible I'm hoping to avoid having to totally reengineer the trap as Id need to raise it up almost 2" to get it above supply lines, and (aside from that being a PITA itself) I think the resulting slope might be an issue if I do so.

I could push the overflow/tailpiece closer to plumb (towards the tub) and could redo the trap using same design w/o hitting the supply lines, but 1) when I push it to plumb I can actually see the tub flex noticeably at the overflow plate (though not enough to be noticeable in a pic) thinking I might be setting myself up for a crack, and 2) I'd worry that the torque the tailpiece would place on the trap assembly wouldn't be healthy. I thought of using some strapping around the tailpiece and fasten that to nearby joist to relieve the torque...but this doesn't seem like a an above board solution either.

Appreciate any insight.

Attachments

• PXL_20201102_022719144.jpg
    PXL_20201102_022719144.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 161
  • PXL_20201102_023032005.jpg
    PXL_20201102_023032005.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 165

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does the gerber drain/overflow kit not have a tapered gasket for the overflow to tub connection? If not, perhaps a tapered gasket from another source is required.

Did you set the tub in mortar? I don't think it should be flexing when you step it in, although with the overflow against the plate like that, it probably would take very little flex to cause audible rubbing.

Cheers, Wayne

seldomright

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne. I'll check to see if gasket is tapered (dont recall so but wasn't looking for a taper). I'm sure it's possible that if it is tapered... I installed it upside down. If not tapered I'll search for one, didn't know there was such an animal.

I'll be setting the tub in floor mud, have yet to do so. Tub is not flexing when I stand in it. It just flexes around the overflow plate if/when I push the overflow pipe/tailpiece closer to plumb, because it's effectively causing that small area of the tub to bow inward slightly. Maybe I'm just overly worried about forcing the tub into a flexed position like that (probably 1/8-1/4" )? But I wouldn't think the overflow is something you'd need to force into place....

seldomright

Reaction score
Wayne.....yep, Gerber gasket tapered, sad to say I didn't even notice it. I had installed it upside down for my tub's slope.
Flipped it and issue resolved. Much appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks