Tub overflow screws rusted

Users who are viewing this thread

Alexbacon

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently purchased a house built in 1950. I know nothing about plumbing but after watching some videos I decided I wanted to update the fixtures in the tub. When I unscrewed the screws on the overflow cover, the screw heads were so rusted they broke off. The gasket looks pretty chewed up too. I don't know how to get the old screws out or how to attach a new overflow cover. Even if I get the screws out I'm not sure new ones would even screw into this rusted disaster. Is there anything I can use to just stick a new cover on? Caulk? Plumber style super glue? I totally regret starting this project and would really appreciate some help.

Thank you!

20210217_212935.jpg
20210217_210724_capture.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you have access to the wall behind? If so, the top part of the drain assembly can be removed and replaced. It fits together with standard 1-1/2" slip joint nuts and washers.

index.php

Hardware stores would carry the waste and overflow in brass, and you could install the top part into the rest of your existing drain.

Alexbacon

Reaction score
Do you have access to the wall behind? If so, the top part of the drain assembly can be removed and replaced. It fits together with standard 1-1/2" slip joint nuts and washers.

index.php

Hardware stores would carry the waste and overflow in brass, and you could install the top part into the rest of your existing drain.

I do not have access to behind only through this little overflow hole. I'm not a bath person so I'm okay if it's not functional, I just want to cover this huge hole up now lol

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Drill out the old screws and tap new threads. Then use brass screws to prevent a repeat. Has the bracket that sat behind the cover rusted away or is it salvageable?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks