Tub overflow leaking need suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
I'm about ready to throw this damn tub off the second floor balcony. I've got all of the water leaks (and there were a lot courtesy of the manufacturer) fixed on this piece of sh*t Watertech (watertechtn.com) tub except for one. The tub uses this OS&B Fill Drain (also a piece of sh*t. Horrible design.):

fill-drain-360-feature.png

When you remove the trim shown above there is a stainless steel plate. That plate goes on the inside of the tub. All it does is bridge the opening where the hole was drilled inside the tub. In other words, there is no intent for there to be any sort of a water tight seal on the inside of the tub. So the only thing that prevents water leaking is the black gasket you see in the photo.

I made sure where that gasket mates to the tub that the surface is flat and clean. I did not use silicone. I tightened the nut, that acts as a stop nut up against that stainless steel plate, as tight as I could. It was starting to bend. I also made sure that the gasket was centered around the hole.

I turned on both faucets full open and let it fill about a 1/3 of the way above the bottom of the fill drain shown above. There are 2 holes on the bottom of that stainless cover and that's where the water exits out and goes down the drain. I wanted to see if those holes could drain the water fast enough that the tub could never over fill. Well...water started running down the outside of the tub leaking right around that gasket.

I'm not sure how to fix that because I don't think I can tighten that stop nut any more without crushing the SS plate that the trim cover above attaches to.

Any suggestions?

I'm calling OS&B tomorrow but in the meantime I'm looking for ideas.

Terry and others here say not to use silicone so I'm not sure any kind of sealer would be wise.

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can use Silicone on the overflow gasket. I've done that before on a Kohler overflow. I don't use it on the shoe and bottom drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks