Tub overflow issue .. legal? Picture included

Users who are viewing this thread

Beachfront71

Reaction score
So upon pulling the subfloor up we noticed there is a 21" beam running directly under the area for the freestanding tub ... not a problem for the drain as it is positioned on the correct side of the beam but the overflow outlet will be on the wrong side! We knew the beam was there but though the floor joists ran over it and it did not go all the way to the subfloor...

Both the drain and overflow are in the center of the tub (not at the ends)

Instead of having the overflow go directly down into the floor, we were thinking to route it around the outside of the tub to the long end and connect up to the drain at that point then install the ptrap protecting both... this would be done using a finished brushed nickle and obvoisly not ABS ..

This would put the ptrap for the drain approx 36" to the left of the drain ...

Would there be any issues with this setup with regards to UPC Code / California ?

Really it is the only option as of now .. the beam spans the whole 25 feet of the garage..

OR is the best thing to do to run the drain as normal with the ptrap under it and reroute the overflow and add a ptrap there as well, then connect the 2 and head to the vent?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure about legal, but keep in mind that lots of stuff gets run down a tub drain: hair, dead skin, soap, shampoo, etc. The long line will collect some of that, and it is the trap that normally blocks any smells from it from getting back into the room. If the trap is far away, it can't block it. I'd not do it.

Depending on the size of the beam and where you are relative to the ends, you might drill a hole through for the overflow. if the under side is not a finished ceiling, you could probably run it deeper before connecting the trap, but the overflow may not be tall enough. Regardless, you'd still need to maintain the slope to the sewer, and that may be an issue if you lower things.

Beachfront71

Reaction score
Thanks ... this beam is 25' long, 8" wide and 21" tall .. city has basically said if I drill through it I will end up replacing it ...so that is out ..

I do not mind the 2 ptrap idea but my concern is that an overflow is rarely used so if it has its own ptrap wouldnt that water eventually stagnate?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Worse, it would evaporate and leave an opening directly to the open sewer...not a good idea at all. See what the plumbers have to say...there's always a way, but sometimes it costs a bunch, or could be easy...that's why they go to school!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Running the overflow that way, above the floor using satin nickel tubing, would look like an abortion, and would be almost impossible to do, and keep it together whenever something bumped it. Those tubs are usually symetrical, so why not rotate it so the overflow and drain are both on the same side of the beam.

DanT

Reaction score
how tall is the beam. i used to have to notch joists to get tub drains in but no more then 1-1/2 inches and steel tubs set higher so those would almost clear without notching. how about raising the tub so you have clearance for the drain. normally if you use a waste and overflow the trap needs to be under the overflow and the drain goes to it. looking at your drawing the trap is on the wrong side of the beam. did you buy a drain when you bought the tub?

tub_drain_070.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks