Tub Overflow Cover Screw Stripped

Users who are viewing this thread

TNpilot

Reaction score
Good evening,

Pretty much what the title says, the screw that holds the overflow cover in place picks up threads that appear to be brass centered in the ABS overflow pipe.

The screw will no longer snug up opening the possibility of the rubber seal not sealing well against the rear of the tub surround.

Is there any remedy other than opening up the wall?

Any ideas welcomed.

Thank you all,
Alan

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let me try this on you. If I'm doing electrical work and my 6-32 screw that holds an outlet or switch onto the box gets goobered up, I have the next size tap, 8-32, and am able to ream out the hole to the next size up and use an 8-32 screw. The 8 is wire size and the 32 is the number of threads per inch. You can do the same thing with the waste and overflow if it's the female side that's stripped out. Male side, the screw, just get another one. Female side, ream it out to the next size larger and get a bigger screw. Stainless or brass would be best.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks