Tub leak

Users who are viewing this thread

nigelL

Reaction score
Got a shower/tub combo on a main floor. Used daily for showers.

Tonight, I put just enough water in the tub to cover 1/2" or so deep from front to back, and added some bleach to remove some mold...

Shortly after, my better-half reports water leaking from the ceiling of the basement bath, which is below the bath I'm cleaning.

After some experimenting, we determined that...

1. running water in the tub with the stopper open doesn't seem to result in a leak in the basement ceiling

2. running water in the main-floor sink doesn't result in a leak

3. stopping up the tub, filling with 1/2" or so of water (no where close to the overflow assembly) resulted in water dripping in the basement...even though the tub was stopped.

4. opening the drain in step 3 = lots of fast dripping in the basement

Any thoughts on what might cause the leak to occur (or be more pronounced) when the tub drain is stopped, versus tub was empty, drain open, water on and there was apparently no leak? Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The plumbers putty under the flange has dried out and allowing water to slip by. Under the tub at the shoe, the rubber gasket may also be dried out and leaking. It takes both to fail. The fix is doable from the tub side. You remove the flange, pull out the gasket and replace it with a new one. Plumbers putty around the flange, reinsert the flange. There are plenty of you tube videos on how to do it.

https://i3.wp.com/edmondbathtubrefinishing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Bathtub-Drain-Diagram.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What seals the tub drain is the rubber seal between the tub and drain below. The putty doesn't really do much.

tub-drain-leak-04.jpg

tub-drain-leak-05.jpg

tub-drain-leak-06.jpg

phister-19-020-terrylove-01.jpg

tub-tools-terrylove.jpg

Two different tools I use to remove and install drains.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....eaking-how-do-i-fix-it-leaks-from-shoe.71774/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks