Tub install

Users who are viewing this thread

Illtryonce

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bathroom and have purchased a 32" tub to replace the green cast iron tub. I looked at install instructions and understand that I will need to put in mortar bed for the acrylic tub. Also I will have to install new shower controller and move everything over 1" and slightly higher. How much time do I need to plan for a project of this type. I am comfortable with sweating etc. I this something over my head?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
two weekends should be enough. You didnt mention the full scope of your project, i.e. tile wall? etc.

Illtryonce

Reaction score
I am installing cement backer board and tile. Not woriied about that so much as the time needed to install the tub...set in place and plumb. Thanks

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
for a professional

plasterboard tiled wall removed around tub 1-2 hrs

shut water off and remove existing cast iron tub and valve. 1 hr

break for bs 1 hr--that was alot of work

clean area and repair any wall or floor wood damage 1-2 hrs if necessary.

Install acrylic tub leveling 1x2 at proper level and test installation of tub 1 hr

remove old trap, cover large opening where trap is, mix up structo lite, pour and set tub. 2-3 hrs. make sure everything is LEVEL to the best of your ability.

preplan your jobs for the next day and see if you are missing parts etc.

good job well done. let the tub sit over night

next day

get to the supply house early and get your parts that you forgot about. 1 hr.

set tub valve basic single anti scalding 1- 11/2 hrs

install tripwaste assembly and connect to existing waste line with new trap. 1-2 hrs.

another break for bs...1 hr

test the tub by filling it all the way up so the overflow is covered 1/2 way with water. Check all joints before draining and also while draining. 1/2 hr.

Set tub valve temperature to max. 104 degrees. 1/2 hr.

next day

install wonder(cement) board 3 hrs

preplan tile work 1/2 hour

tile tub area 3-4 hrs

install soap dishes and other shelving 1-2 hrs

next day

grout 2 hours.

that afternoon

install trim for shower valve 1 hr

install shower doors 2 hrs or shower curtains 1/2 hr

hope this helps

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jeas , Jeff,,,,,,,

Nice bs job !! Why you want to sugar coat it for that man ?

How 'bout:

- Catching forearm on unforseen nail , travel to Emergency room and get stiched up ,,,,,,,,,,, 18Hrs

- Dropping piece of castiron tub while going downstairs,,, tub through landing area wall and repair,,,,,6Hrs

- First time DIYer trying to figure out how to get a 60" tub into a 60" opening with a toilet or toilet supply line in the way. Then figuring how to hook up the waste line without cutting the living room ceiling.,,,5Hrs

- Beer with buddies,,,,3-8 Hrs

-Time spent saying, " Don't they make something that........" or ," Why doesn't someone make something that ......" 3.5Hrs

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
OOPS ....sorry i just saw " for a professional " . O.K.,,your right on the time thing,,,my bad

Cal

JEP

Reaction score
I'm involved in a simalar project.

Cal - So how do you "hook up the waste line without cutting the living room ceiling"?

John

Illtryonce

Reaction score
:D I must be doing something right. I haven't cut my arm yet, although I did put some slivers from the tub into my leg while busting out the old tub and at least the tub is over my shop and I won't have to worry about the ceiling in the living room. Thanks for the hint on filling the tub to test. See, your comments were not all bs.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
John,

If you do not have an access panel behind waste and water wall and if you do not have an opening under the tub ( 1st floor ceiling) it is one of the works of art to hook up a new tub .

Let's say you change a small piece of pipe and the trap over to PVC . The tub comes with a cut sheet to tell you exact measurements of the waste center and how high to place the bottom "shoe" and how high to place the overflow outlet. This ALL must be lined up perfectly and level for everything to come together,,,,,If it's right,,,when you set the tub in place you should be looking down into the threads of the bath shoe (approx.1/4" low to allow for washer ) and looking into the center of the overflow straight ahead ( approx 1/2" back from tub to allow for washer)

It is very possable,,,,take your time,,measure,measure,measure!

BennyBaby

Reaction score
I am on my 7th weekend! If you don't know exactly what is the right way to do things, and/or if your bath had serious problems from years of leaking, neglect, or was never built correctly in the first place...you could be in for the long haul.
I started my bathroom project back in the end of september...I thought i would just tear down the old wallpaper, pull out the fiberglass tub, replace the tub, retile the floor and paint the walls, and then add a new vanity, sink, mirror and lights. WRONG!

Every time I removed something or tried to install a new fixture, I found more problems. At the end of the first weekend I decided everything had to be removed. The walls weren't plumb, there were five poorly repaired holes in the drywall, and the floor was a roller coaster, my new toilet wouldn't sit flat on the floor. The mice trashed the ceiling vent, the electrical wires running to and thru the bathroom were an electricians nightmare, yadda yadda yadda, etc, etc.

Just be careful and don't get carried away if you are on a budget stick to it!
A remodeled bathroom, can easily set you back 7000 bucks for just the materials and fixtures. Companies are charging 20,000 to 25000 dollars for a remodeled bath. It can be complicated to get everything working right. Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks