Tub incorrectly set in mortar

Users who are viewing this thread

DNP

Reaction score
A fiberglass drop in Jacuzzi brand tub was recently set into a mortar base, while level, it is not resting on the tub frame.

Question: Should I (can I) remove the tub, break up the mortar and re-set the tub altogether? I don't know if the mortar adheres to the tub to the extent that an attempt to remove the tub would destroy it. If it doesn't destroy the tub, the extra work to get it right would be worth it to me.

If removal of the tub is not possible, I'm thinking it's possible to fill in gap around the lip of the tub with mortar to eliminate the "squeak" when you rest on the lip of the tub. Advisable or not?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The edges of the tub should be supported by ledger boards, and the base could be fine. If when you step in the tub (not sit on the edge), things squeak and you can feel or hear things moving, then it wasn't set in the mortar well. Sitting on the edge has little to do with how well the base is supported - that must be supported independently with the ledger boards.

Depends on what mortar was used, normally it won't stick much. If you do take it out, slap a piece of plastic film on the top of the mortar before you set the tub, then it won't be a problem. The goal is support, not adhesion.

DNP

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response.

Tub bottom is firmly supported. No movement, no squeak. The mortars seems to have been applied to thick so the edge of the tub is not supported by the frame. I know that's not terribly important. The edge just flexes a bit and squeaks a little. If correctable without ruining the tub, I'll pop it out and replace it. I can see the mortar is set on plastic, but I dont' see plastic between the mortar and tub. That would have been nice.

Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If mortar dries, it won't be strong. Mortar needs to cure which means the water is chemically incorporated into the cement - it becomes part of the cement. If you set it on wood without isolating it with something like plastic, it will draw moisture out of the mortar before it can cure, and it will be weak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks