Tub filler on apron or wall side for apron tub

Users who are viewing this thread

BruceL

Reaction score
I'm installing an apron tub (kohler mariposa K-1229-R) that has flat area for the tub filler on both the apron side and wall side. The apron will be tiled, so it's not removable. I had decided I would mount the filler on the apron side, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Apron side:
Pro: easy to turn water on before getting into tub
Con: if it needs to be removed, only access is coming up through the basement ceiling with a long basin wrench.
Con: there's 3'6" of space at the head of the tub where someone can step in without stepping over the faucet, but if less mobile people who want to sit on the edge of the tub and then bring their legs across might have a harder time.

Wall side:
Pro: if maintenance is needed, can get full access by removing some drywall in the MBR (not ideal, but easier to repair than tile), or go through basement ceiling
Con: have to reach across the (3') tub to turn on water

I'd been leaning toward not wanting to reach across to turn it on, but am having second thoughts. I'm curious about experience here both from a use and from future maintenance perspective.

Thanks,
Bruce

Reaction score
I like wall side because I like to sit on the lip of the tub to wash my feet or children/pets. I find that I almost always slam into an apron mount faucet by accident.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Apron or deck? The apron is the vertical surface on the front of the tub, so not usually where a faucet would be mounted. A wall mount would go on the "end" of the tub, NOT the back wall.

BruceL

Reaction score
HJ, ah, you've discovered the sneaky reason why I referred to the mounting choices as "apron side" or "wall side" and not "apron" or "wall." Possibly could have been clearer by referring to "back wall side" but attaching Kohler's diagram with the faucet mount options shaded. Any opinions on which side?

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 11.53.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 11.53.02 AM.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 242

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Would not even consider the far side. A third option, if the tub is as close to the wall as that drawing shows would be a wall mount faucet, with a spout long enough to reach the tub, or a deck mounted spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks