Tub faucet supply lines keep leaking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Ken Chapman

Reaction score
Hi folks! Ken from Ontario, Canada here :)

Replaced the faucet on my tub, attached the new supply line for hot and cold to the lines coming from the floor (where the water shut off is) and turned on the water again I found that both lines are leaking, not from the threads, but where the actual flexible metal tube connects to the end. This happened on both hot and cold, and continues to happen even though I got replacement supply lines, thinking they were faulty. Clearly it's me!

Here's what it looks like (see attachments)- you can see I have a male/male adapter because I couldn't find a supply line with 2 male ends....

I'm a computer guy doing my best here, but after buying 2 faucet supply lines and always having the same problem I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong that I'd not aware of.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! :)

ends.jpg
connection.jpg
IMG_8957.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that the water comes out at the end of the nut that is closer to the hose. If not say so.

I don't see evidence of you using PTFE tape on those connections, and that is good.

Check that where the lines are connecting to is smooth to the touch.

Try some silicone plumbing grease on the seal and the threads. The grease on the thread will let you tighten tighter with the same wrench torque, and the grease on the seal will help flow the rubber to fill any micro-gaps.

Is that a 3/8 compression on both sides (0.563 on the od of the threads)? Or is there a different thread involved?

I infer you have no leak at the brass adapter.

Male/female designation can get confusing when talking about compression thread fittings.

supply-line-sizes-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks