Tub Faucet, Cold Water Slow

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello everyone in plumbingville

I am in an area where we have very hard water, we are constantly replacing things (including toilets) beacause there is a rock-hard calcium build-up from the water. I have a two-handled tub faucet (with diverter on the faucet) that is running very slow when only the cold is on. The hot water runs fine. I suspect there is a problem with mineral deposit buildup in the faucet. If this is the case I willl probabaly have to replace the faucet.
My question is; Are there other things that could be causing only the cold to run slow? (The valves are open all the way). Are there repairs that I could perform to avoid having to replace the whole faucet?

Thanks in Advance for any help,
Molo

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remove the cold water stem and flush out the line. Have an assistant turn on the water while you hold a bucket by the opening to catch it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some faucets have screened input filters...they could be clogged. Rather than replacing, sometimes you can just soak the parts in vinegar overnight then brush off what didn't disolve. CLR and other stronger acids will work faster, but cost more. If you have galvanized supply lines, it could just be corroded and needs to be replaced.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
molo said:
Hello everyone in plumbingville

I am in an area where we have very hard water, we are constantly replacing things (including toilets) beacause there is a rock-hard calcium build-up from the water.

You realy should get a softener to save on fixture replacement.

Molo

Reaction score
Softener Question

Hello All,

Yes a softener would probabaly be a good idea, approximately how much would I have to spend to get one that does the job?

TIA,
Molo

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks