Tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Dillin

Reaction score
Hi im young and i have to do everything around the house and I need help.

my tub drain does not drain at all. ive tryed a plumbing snake and it didnt seem to go to far down and made no progress. Ive tryed a bladder which is a device you put on a garden house and it shoots out water due to compressed water pressure. that didnt get me anywhere iether. i dont have money for a plumber

i think it might be the drain stopper is stuck shut of somthing. the cover is off where the drain stop lever should be, i see the hollow rod with nothing on the top of the rod. but even with needle nose plyers i cant seem to move it up or down.

we moved into the house like this so i dont know how it use to be.

what should I do?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the drain looks like the one below, you may need to pull the "shoe" out with a wire coat hanger.

I snake from the upper overflow, but the linkage and the stopper need to be pulled out first.

pp19010.gif

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If you cannot pull that rod up, then it is stuck in the "closed" position, which is why it does not drain. Getting it unstuck is seldom a DIY task, because if you break something there is no way to "unbreak" it without cutting some walls, or something. Even an experienced expert could have problems doing it. Often it involves about 10% experience and 40% the right tools, and 50% luck. Or as Yogi Berra would say, "50% experience, 50% tools, and 50% luck".

Dillin

Reaction score
i just found out yesterday that the reason the rod is hollow is because a metal chain (one that resembles the chain on a key chain) use to go in the rod. and a while back my dad pulled out the chain which was attached to the switch which connects to the overflow. but the chain was not connected to anything on the other end ( the end that was in the rod ).
can you please tell me step by step how to get the stopper up atleast part way, i dont even know what a stopper looks like. if i need to acuire some tools im sure i can. Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

We also do not know what you have, because there were NEVER drains that used a "chain" to operate them. Chains were only used inside the tub to keep a rubber plug from being lost. You are either going to live with the bad drainage, or call a plumber. Your problem is not a DIY task, especially if your DIY skills are deficient. If you to something wrong, you may create a major problem for the plumber when you do call him.

tilelayher

Reaction score
Probably better off with a whole new waste and overflow. I put one in today, I'm not a plumber so it is possible but I wouldn't recommend this for a beginner at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks