Tub drain updating, where and what...

Users who are viewing this thread

JBNE

Reaction score
Hello, I have a leak below the tee in my tub drain/overflow assembly. The tee floats freely on that narrower inner pipe, where the seal is completely lost. What's the best approach to replacing this drain setup (PVC?), and where do you suggest I begin/cut?

jberg-01.jpg

jberg-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like the 1.5" brass Tubular pipe has corroded and that is the part that is leaking. While you could possibly remove that from the tee, I think it would be easier to repair or replace that assembly.

The tub shoe / drain is the hardest to remove and care must be taken not to damage the tub surface. But once that assembly is removed, you will need to loosen and remove the nut on top of that elbow. It may have a copper friction ring that you will want to retain and a rubber gasket that needs replaced. The 1.5" tubular brass pipe that is corroded will come out with that.

Replace with a new assembly which will either be made of similar brass, or plastic fittings.

JBNE

Reaction score
It looks like the 1.5" brass Tubular pipe has corroded and that is the part that is leaking. While you could possibly remove that from the tee, I think it would be easier to repair or replace that assembly.

The tub shoe / drain is the hardest to remove and care must be taken not to damage the tub surface. But once that assembly is removed, you will need to loosen and remove the nut on top of that elbow. It may have a copper friction ring that you will want to retain and a rubber gasket that needs replaced. The 1.5" tubular brass pipe that is corroded will come out with that.

Replace with a new assembly which will either be made of similar brass, or plastic fittings.

Thanks for the additional info! The pipe between elbow and tee is complete free from the tee. The tee is just loosely floating on it. That's the leak source. My removal of the old, corroded tub drain caused the break. So it sounds like I'll plan to replace everything above that nut on the elbow.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That part that corroded and leaked was the weakest link.. It's already thin brass with fine threads cut into it and potentially stress added from the tub moving ever so slightly. Might be a good time to rid yourself of that old drum trap as well unless its working fine for you.

JBNE

Reaction score
Last question! From this 1.5" brass elbow, is there any way that I can transition to a new PVC drain assembly, or is another brass/copper setup my only option (without addition cutting and removal of the drum)?

jberg-03.jpg

jberg-04.jpg

jberg-05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, you can purchase a tub waste and overflow assembly that directly replaces the brass setup. You will probably want to retain the brass slip joint nut that came off of that 90° to attatch your new waste and overflow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks