Tub Drain Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Wren

Reaction score
I'm installing a new tub in our remodel/rebuild and am looking for suggestions as to the best quality drain to install. I want to install a drain that is going to be trouble free for the life of the tub. Due to an extremely tight crawlspace, access to the drain will be near impossible once the sub-floor is back down.
I see all sorts of drains that range in price from $20 to $220, in brass and PVC. What's the best option for this sort of situation?
Also, for the p-trap, is it better to use a solvent weld one or one that has threaded connections?
Thanks very much!

Edit: There seemed to be some issues that I read about online with the tub that we picked out, so I'm now looking for an alternative. Any recommendations for a standard 30"x60" tub would also be appreciated.

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber or a pro. I like the solvent welded W/Os, because they use standard pipe ... if I cut a piece of pipe too short, I can go get another piece of pipe (vs. a new kit). IMO you don't need to spend $220 to get a decent kit. Neither style should leak (i.e. if you install them correctly), but I would suspect there is less chance of a leak with a solvent welded joint.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
A slip joint trap has to be readily accessible. That leaves solvent weld.

I like a toe tap style drain. Although I'm not sure about which brand would be high quality. The method of choosing a drain that can be easily and readily changed out might be easier than relying on something to last a lifetime. Toe tap or lift and turn type for this bill.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like solvent weld Rapid Fit or a number of other brands standard pipe and fittings a solvent weld trap as well. you'll get 50 years out of it likely a few trim parts can be renewed anytime easily in the future.
the brass tubular can be good but usually require service access can provide decades of service but might not. some are well made and expensive some aren't. I just put a Kohler in and wasn't impressed at all , unlike what I remember of the quality of their waste and overflows of past

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks