Tub drain not cut into tub right

Users who are viewing this thread

Alex_T

Reaction score
So we are remodeling our bathroom, and I came across this tub at a local bath superstore. Turns out they are made specifically for this store. The brand name is Vida. The tub checks all our boxes, and seems very well made and affordable. It showed up today and appears perfect with the exception of the hole for the drain not being cut 100% centered in its bevel.

I am not sure of I should have them ship me another? The fact it is offset doesn't really bother me too much, but I am concerned it may not seal perfectly. It appears as though it will be okay, but I'm not a plumber.

Any input would be great. thanks!

Attachments

• 20170211_184012.jpg
    20170211_184012.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 217

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think what you wrote in your post is good enough reason to ask for a replacement.

JRC3

Reaction score
The hole is often a bit larger and you have to keep the drain centered as you tighten it. Do you have a pic before you installed the drain to see it the hole is centered in the recess? I bet it is. The same applies to just about every drain hole in every kitchen or bath sink, and every shower or tub I've ever seen. I'm a bit anal about such things and will waste extra time to make sure they are always perfectly centered.

One of these might help. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tub-Drain-Remover-HDX170/204218645

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
The seal is made by the shoe washer under the tub, so the hole being offset is irrelevant. The surface underneath where
the rubber washer contacts the tub needs to be reasonably smooth and flat.

JRC3

Reaction score
The seal is made by the shoe washer under the tub, so the hole being offset is irrelevant. The surface underneath where
the rubber washer contacts the tub needs to be reasonably smooth and flat.
And plumbers putty up top...I don't care what any of the directions say, It's always plumbers putty up top.

Alex_T

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. I removed the drain and took another pic. the hole seems pretty well the exact size of the drain. I should mention that the tub has an integrated overflow. The bottom of the tub is flat and looks as though it should be okay.

My other question with this tub, is how do I support the front/face from flexing inwards away from my tiled floor once installed? It does seem pretty stiff, but I imagine it will still move a bit if pushed on.

The tub has 5 adjustable feet for leveling, and when looking at the inside of the front face/apron, it has what looks like 2 slots to install angle brackets maybe?

Attached are a few pics, the tub is curgently leaning in my hall way.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170212_090719.jpg
    20170212_090719.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 20170212_090739.jpg
    20170212_090739.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 20170212_090751.jpg
    20170212_090751.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 188

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If I had to install a tub which may flex as you say, I would pin down a strip of wood on the floor behind the apron.

I see a lot of problems caused by water seeping down into the flooring at the joint with the apron. If it were my own home, I would also apply waterproofing to the subfloor about 12" to each side of the apron, and then once the backerboard is down, silicone caulk the gap between the backerboard and the apron, and then apply waterproofing to the backerboard. Keep the frame of mind that tile and grout do not stop water from soaking into the layers below.

Alex_T

Reaction score
I'll make sure I use some water proofing, thanks for that!

Any more input on the drain?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'll make sure I use some water proofing, thanks for that!

Any more input on the drain?

If it holds water with the drain in place, and the overflow works without leaking anywhere, the problem is mostly cosmetic. You will have to decide if you want to pursue it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest you search the forum for mortar piles.
With a plastic tub, that can give a solidness.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks