Tub drain leak at gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

MK2007

Reaction score
Hello - we are just wrapping up a small bath remodel. Our contractor installed a new tub and tile surround, but we discovered a very small leak under the tub at the shoe gasket. Thankfully I had him cut in a small 8x8 access panel from our bedroom so we could check for leaks. It is an acrylic American Standard Studio tub, and on the drain he said he put silicone on top of the rubber gasket under the tub before installing the drain basket itself so he is surprised it is leaking. When he is back out to fix it, should I ask him not to use silicone and just use the rubber gasket? He is guessing that the gasket slipped out of alignment when he tightened everything together. I am also worried that the silicone may be stuck on the bottom of the tub and we won’t be able to get a clean seal.

I am not sure if it’s related but when he first installed the drain and overflow his overflow was 1/4” off so he had to cut and splice in a new piece of PVC to raise the overflow tube to the right height. Could it possibly be that the drain assembly is still too tight and not providing a flush seal under the tub?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any number of things here.
It could be that the tub is rough where the rubber seal is. It could have been squeezed to the side.
Normally I install the washer clean and only use sealant under the flange. There has been at least one time that I did use Silicone where he did

MK2007

Reaction score
Any number of things here.
It could be that the tub is rough where the rubber seal is. It could have been squeezed to the side.
Normally I install the washer clean and only use sealant under the flange. There has been at least one time that I did use Silicone where he did

Thanks Terry. If the tub is rough, is there a remedy?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
some times on fiberglas the bottom of tub does not have a good " Flat" on it for gasket to lay on. On tubs I only use putty. just my style If there is a problem I guess I would concider something else

MK2007

Reaction score
some times on fiberglas the bottom of tub does not have a good " Flat" on it for gasket to lay on. On tubs I only use putty. just my style If there is a problem I guess I would concider something else

Thanks Jeff. He’s coming back tomorrow afternoon so hopefully we’ll be good to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks