Tub drain installation with limited access to plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

DanFL

Reaction score
I'm installing 2 new tubs in back to back bathrooms as shown in the figure below. I installed Tub 1 and used all sch 40 PVC glued tub drain fittings because I had easy access to the existing drain without Tub 2 installed yet, and I was able to cut and adjust the drain location for the new tub measurements. Tub 2 drain is between 2 closely spaced floor joists (about 8" between) and will be more difficult to work with once tub is in place. I can still access it from Bathroom 1 (no drywall yet), but stud placement in that wall makes it more difficult than the easy access I had with Tub 1. I can gain a little more access (although still tight) if I cut open some drywall on the drain wall of Tub 2 from the bedroom side, but it's still tight due to the HVAC chase wall.

Both tubs are same manufacturer/model, so same drain measurements.
1. Am I crazy to think I could do another glued tub drain assembly for Tub 2 (using same measurements as done on Tub 1), glue it to the drain below the floor joists, and then put the tub in place and get it to line up properly, or am I better off using a slip joint tub drain kit for Tub 2, which would likely be easier to adjust with the limited access I have?
2. In order to not move the existing Tub 2 drain from old tub location, are these "accordion" tail pieces allowed in this case to allow more wiggle room to assemble the whole tub drain when the main drain is not in the exact required location? I found this example pic below from a YouTube "how to" video, but I thought these adjustable tail pieces were not allow by any code? (Which makes me wonder why the box stores even sell them).

1675461095797.png
1675460934103.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use solvent weld ( sch 40 glue in ) p trap and waste and overflow. I only put the p trap and drain in place befor setting the tub and then do the overflow ( plenty of room to glue overflow on with tub in place.
Heck no dont use that type of stuff in picture especially with out total access. no slip joints either if not acsesable I dont know if a code allowes that flexy pipe it might undere certain conditions but I dont use it anywhere.

DanFL

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff. Yeah, I didn't think that pic was a good idea and would prefer the solvent weld. Thanks for the tip about doing the overflow after tub in place

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks