Tub drain in slab

Users who are viewing this thread

KenH

Reaction score
I am installing a new Kohler 60x42 to replace a builder's tub that cracked. The drain lines up with the new tub except for one issue. The top of the drain shoe sits about 1/2" - 5/8" BELOW the bottom of the new drain. And it's set into the slab. Do I need to break up the slab and raise the drain shoe? FWIW, the new tub drain stopper assembly reaches to the threads of the shoe, but of course I cannot seat it fully into the shoe. What to do??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally with a new tub, you're using a new drain. I've almost never been able to reuse the same positioning of an old drain to a new tub. Breaking concrete? I'm used to seeing a 12" x 8" box out in the concrete for those.

KenH

Reaction score
Appreciate your quick reply...but can I work with it like it is or do I need to break it out? I would like to think since the tub stopper reaches the threaded shoe, I can get enough screw-in depth to make a good connection. Maybe not.

KenH

Reaction score
Ok...I tried to be clear...there is a gap between the top of the drain shoe and the bottom of the tub. Around 1/2". The rubber washer is nowhere near that thick.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ok...I tried to be clear...there is a gap between the top of the drain shoe and the bottom of the tub. Around 1/2". The rubber washer is nowhere near that thick.
That's what I thought. There isn't a way to lose that 1/2" without building it up new.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks