Tub Drain Gasket Alternatives?

Users who are viewing this thread

ScottC543

Reaction score
Hello, all,

I need some advice. My tub drain was leaking. When I got it apart I found that when the tub was installed no gasket was used between the tub and the drain. The gap was filled with plumbers putty, which had dried and cracked, allowing the leak.

My problem is that the drain piping is concreted into the floor, and the gap between the piping seat and the tub isn't even. One side of the seat is maybe a quarter inch from the tub, while the other is nearly touching the tub. This leaves no gap to slide the gasket into place. I'm faced with having to completely pull the tub to get a gasket on the thing.

My question: Do I have any other options? Can a liquid gasket be used? RTV silicone, maybe?

I don't want to fix the leak in a way that will fail on down the road, as whoever came before me did. Pulling the tub will be quite the task, and I'd love to not go there.

A little help, please?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You can insert the gasket from the drain and place it between the tub and shoe. Easily bought at any hardware dept or store. The drain arm, if plastic should have some movement to it. Is it on an outside wall or interior wall? Interior wall you could open up the wall on the other side to get access if needed. The drain arm slip nut can be loosen to get a little movement for a better fit. Just inserting a gasket with some RTV wouldn't hurt. Using silicone under the tub basket will outlast plumbers putty.

If you notice this gaskets and the overflow gasket are fairly thick and it is allow movement. A tub full of water and a person can get it near the 300lbs range. Other than cast iron tubs, tubs floor will flex. If it is on a wooden floor the floor will move with temperature and humidity changes, house settling, etc. and the gasket also take the stress off the pipe. When the tub basket is tighten down it is more of a snug fit, not very tight and enough to squeeze out the excess plumbers putty. Over tighten it, an acrylic tub will eventually show stress cracks.

Bathtub-Drain-Diagram.jpg

Last edited:

ScottC543

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried from above. I can get one side of the gasket in between the tub and the shoe, but the other side of the shoe is too close to the tub. There's literally no room for the gasket. I opened the wall and and get to the shoe from below, but that didn't help. The shoe will not move - it's set in concrete. The tub won't move - it's caulked into place.

ScottC543

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to try the silicone. As long as I can get a good bead all the way around the seat, I'd think it should work. I just wanted someone with experience tell me that it at least has a chance of working before I moved forward.

I really appreciate your time. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks