Tub Drain - Factory faux pas

Users who are viewing this thread

C Williams

Reaction score
We special ordered a Maax tub for a new build and after 8 weeks it finally arrived. Today, while prefitting the drain and overflow, I see that the top surface around the drain is not coplaner with the machined surface under the drain. Unfortunately the difference is substantial and there is no way I can compress the rubber washer on the underside enough to seal around the thinner portion of the drain perimeter.

I'm looking for ideas to fix this. My ideas are:
  1. Put it back in the box, load it in the truck, drive to the factory and toss it through their front window. As satisfying as that might be it's not going to fix my problem.

2. My next thought is to get out a grinding disk and make the surfaces coplaner. The thinnest area is only 2.8 mm (7/64") and I'm not certain that it will be enough meat to work with. The thickest portion is 4.2 mm (11/64") so I'd have to grind off about 1.4 mm on the high side only.

3. I could also mix up some fiberglass, build up the area and machine a new surface once it's cured. Ugh
Option 1 is looking better and better.

Other ideas?

C Williams

Reaction score
Credit where credit is due.

I called Maax in Quebec this morning and explained the problem to their customer service department. They asked me to email them photos along with the serial number. Shortly after I received a call back from them. They told me that they would send out a service technician with in 48 hrs too repair the tub.

Now, I live on a rural Island off the coast of Vancouver Island so I didn't expect them to make the 48 hr service commitment. 20 Minutes later a service technician called me to arrange an appointment. One hour later he was on a boat. I'm delighted to report that as of now the tub has been impeccable repaired and the technician is on his way home.

Stunning! Truly stunning!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks