Tub drain. Do I have to replace, or can I "fix" this?

Users who are viewing this thread

nurse ratchett

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure, but I think this is brass? It's the underside of my tub. Which I can luckily get to from my basement... Is there a way to fix the brass to brass connection where it's leaking (it's directly on top-not coming from the overflow outlet).. Since I'm an ER nurse, the only plumbing I work on is the human variety.
Anyway, if I have to replace it, it's not the end of the world, but is there a trick to pulling out that brass piece from the (guessing again) ABS?

Thanks you guys, I kind of find this DIY stuff therapeutic. At least it keeps me from hitting anyone back when I'm at work.

IMG_0097.JPG

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
From the picture the leak looks like it is coming from the flange since the mineral deposits is up high. Leaks only flow downhill. However it could be the pipe where it changes size. Brass rarely degrades and I'm suspecting the flange area. There are thousands of youtube videos how to replace a bathtub drain. You may only need a gaskets for the bottom and redo the flange with plumbers putty. It is also a good time to change the drain stopper with new chrome. I do like the toe push button tub stopper type.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks