Tub diverter issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Not__a__Plumber

Reaction score
Hi, all.

Was replacing the hot/cold cartridges and ran into a slight issue with replacing the diverter stem. I couldn't find any DIY info online about this type of a diverter (what style is this, btw?). The old rubber boot was welded inside, and I spent a good minute extracting it out (rubber first, then the bronze washer that sits at the end of the rubber boot). The new boot, from what it looks like, went on a bit crooked and the diverter works about 95% now with slight water leakage out of the faucet when in use. I don't like the way it feels when you operate it and wanted to see if there is a trick to putting these things in?

Should the rubber be greased up with rubber safe grease to make it easier to slide into the hole? How do you slide it in so it's straight? I was thinking about using a deep socket that fits inside the boot. It's a very tight fit (giggity), and i don't see how you can correct anything once the boot is in the hole. If it's crooked, there is no way that thing will come out in one piece.

Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_20220322_094214.jpg
IMG_20220322_094219.jpg
IMG_20220322_094229.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks