Tub Box in Slab with No Drain Pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Justin Grow

Reaction score
So I found this kind of crazy but maybe I'm missing something...

House was built in 2000 with an unfinished basement with plumbing stubbed in for a bathroom. Toilet drain, sink drain, vent, and water lines are all there along with a tub box sunk into the concrete floor. I'm starting to finish the basement so I thought last night would be a good time pull the cap off the tub box to examine the shower drain pipe I'd be working with.

So I pulled the cap off the box to find pea gravel and no pipe. Weird, I thought... but figured I just needed to do some digging. So I began scooping the pea gravel out into a bucket. Got down to the dirt underneath, still nothing. Felt around the edges of the box under the slab, nothing. Poked around in the dirt a couple inches, still can't feel anything. Any guesses on a) where the drain may be? or b) how this could have happened? Anyone ever seen this before? Thanks in advance!
tub box.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Keep removing gravel, chances are you will find the capped end of the drain.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Toilet drain, sink drain, vent, and water lines are all there along with a tub box sunk into the concrete floor.
How deep are those other drains where the turn to horizontal? I would dig down to at least that depth before I start head scratching.

Can you tell if the dirt under the gravel is compacted to suggest undisturbed soil or back-filled material?

Justin Grow

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. So the bottom of toilet drain is down 12” below the slab surface. I’ve been down to around 14” below the surface, below the pea gravel and into the dirt. Still nothing there. I’m getting ready for some concrete surgery

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks