Trying to update an old bath with a new toilet but have serious space issues

Users who are viewing this thread

detroitgirl

Reaction score
I am trying to update a 1940's small bath for my teenager to use,on a reasonable budget, but i am running into a lot of issues. These are my issues: 1. The toilet I am replacing has a depth of about 25 inches. There hardly any room here to play with because i have a tub that sits not that far from the base of the toilet. My second issue is that I have a baseboard heater which takes up about 2 1/2 inches which runs around the back of the toilet. 3. I also would like a toilet which is comfort height.

I found the toto promenade which sits out about 26 1/8 inches and is comfort height, but it looks like there will not be any clearance behind the toilet for the baseboard. I also found the kohler san rafael which sits out a little over 25 inches and also appears to have space behind it for the baseboard. The problem with this toilet is that it is not comfort height. Any suggestions on a toilet which would meet all my requirements?

thanks.

laura

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You do realize that your have several limiting factors. One of these is the heater. If you can relocate or otherwise eliminate this, there would be more options. Rough-in is also an important factor in toilet selection.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Last edited:

Bosco10

Reaction score
I have a similar problem in the toilet closet in my master bath. The room abuts an outside wall and there is a hot water baseboard that the toilet pedestal must clear (comes out 3"). Pulling the baseboard out is not an option (NE corner of house, live in cold winter climate). Any suggestions on a good quality toilet that has at least 3.5" clearance between the base of the pedestal and the wall? Rough in is 12". I saw a post from several years ago suggesting the Gerber Ultra Flush but this is a 2 piece and I have concerns after reading about some pressure assist incidents. Thank you,,,

As an update to this, I did see that the AS Fairfield Elongated One-Piece Toilet fits my requirements. However, in reading about AS quality, I'm not very comfortable with them. Just wish Toto made a 1 piece model that would fit but it appears they don't. The EAGO (Ariel) TB108 suggested above has horrible user reviews. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

pottie_crown.jpg

Danze "the Pottie"

One last update - Costco sells a toilet mfg'ed by Danze called the Pottie made only for Costco. Concern is price of only $170 seems way too cheap for a quality toilet. One certainty is Costco will take it back if I have remorse tom'r or next year. Any opinions on this model or any other 1 piece heads where the rear base doesn't kiss the back wall?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the Ariel.

One would think that there must be plenty of toilets that will allow more than 3" clearance. (The AS Cadet 3 shows about 4" between the toilet back and the baseboard.) Heck, my 3.5g Briggs has about 6" of clearance. Of course, that was many years ago, the newer models may be designed to be about 1" from the baseboard (Toto). We have an Eljer 1.6g gravity feed toilet at work that has plenty of room behind it. I've already told the maintenance guy that if he ever replaces it I want it. When I went to the place that I bought my Drake from I saw the same Eljer toilet tank, but no bowl, in the back yard. Trust me, if it had been complete I would have picked it up fast. You may want to visit a few plumbing supply stores in your area. They may have suggestions. Just don't buy AS from Lowes or Home Depot since they supposedly get seconds and thirds. A good plumbing store should stand behind their sales. Ask all the right questions before buying, though, like if there's a problem with it can you get your money back as a first or last resort?

Last edited:

Bosco10

Reaction score
I also looked at the Mansfield Aegean. I believe this is same exact model being sold as the AS Fairfield. I've only been dealing with a professional plumbing shop (Blackman) on my 2 bathroom remodels. They do not sell AS or Mansfield. Unfortunately, there are not many options. I've even looked on e-bay for new/old stock items that would fit. Costco is looking good at this moment.

Last edited:

Bosco10

Reaction score
Thanks, but the whole quality thing about AS leaves me apprehensive. I bought the Costco number yesterday. If it doesn't perform as I want, very easy to return.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks, but the whole quality thing about AS leaves me apprehensive. I bought the Costco number yesterday. If it doesn't perform as I want, very easy to return.

danze_pottie_spec.jpg

It looks like the end of the bowl for the Danze "the Pottie" will be 28-3/4" from the wall on a standard 12" rough.

Last edited:

Wallijonn

Reaction score
The toilet I am replacing has a depth of about 25 inches. There's hardly any room here to play with because I have a tub that sits not that far from the base of the toilet.

Exactly how much room do you have to play with. How far away is the tub from the wall?

I also found the kohler san rafael which sits out a little over 25 inches and also appears to have space behind it for the baseboard.

Actually http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/5f/5fd3473c-7744-4743-8e12-26edc1dee672.pdf shows very little space avaialable between the toilet back and the wall. The elongated http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/1057478_4.pdf shows more space.

If one doesn't like the parts availability of the Kohlers then it will be much worse with the Galba - a regular round toilet seat may not work on it, for example.

Is there a Toto Showroom near you? If so you could go and look at the Toto Aquia, all the Totos, for that matter, yourself and see if it meets your measurements. Me, I think the 15+3/8" bowl height is perfect. If it can accept a regular wooden round toilet seat that is 1" high then that would be perfect, imo. I wish the Drake bowl came in that height instead of 14+5/8". With the toilet seat cover lid up, I find 16" to be perfect. ymmv.

One thing that you will need to pay particular attention to is the water valve height and how far from the centre of the toilet flange. If it's too high up it may interefere with the porcelin.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst416m_specs.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a good quality toilet that has at least 3.5" clearance between the base of the pedestal and the wall? Rough in is 12".

If it wasn't for the fact that you want a one-piece toilet, and provided that you have the room in front of the toilet, you should be able to fit a 10" rough in toilet. That should guarantee 2" of space behind the toilet, and if the spec sheet shows at least 1" of space between the back of the tank and the bottom of the bowl that should make it pretty close. You'd then make a filler panel at least 2" thick behind the toilet. Or put up a painting. Or add tile or brick wall behind the toilet. etc.

For example, (not that I would ever buy a Kohler, mind you,) The Hohler Cimaron, http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/1184500_4.pdf shows 1+1/4" between the tank top and the wall and, it being a 10" rough in, would give you 3+1/4" at the top and even more at the bottom (most toilets have the tank set back a little more than the bottom of the tank).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks