Trying to surface cleanout above finished floor

Users who are viewing this thread

skuba

Reaction score
Hi,

I converted half my garage into living space and have this new patio outside the bedroom. The plumber placed the cleanout at slab level. It currently has a plastic plug. I have a mason installing brick over the slab this week and we are trying to solve for the cleanout. The cleanout was placed right outside the patio door so I am trying to find a visually pleasing solution. My drains are 5" square brass or bronze, so I would like to keep the cleanout cover at 5" or less, and ideally, square as well, specially making it easier for brick install.

The cleanout has a 3" tread. I can't find an extension with a cover. I am guessing another solution is to just leave the cleanout alone, with the plastic plug, and just put a cover flush with the brick to provide access. Or another way, could we just put a lose brick on top of the cleanout to allow access? is that done sometimes as a solution?

I am not a plumber, so excuse my ignorance on the matter. I went to a plumbing supply shop and they couldn't figure out how to do it.

I appreciate help here.

Thanks

Attachments

• cleanout.jpg
    cleanout.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 280
Reaction score
What #2 said is best.

Stop trying to extend the cleanout. Leave it there.

Just cover it all with an access plate. Plus you have a secret compartment for things like door keys.

skuba

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for all the feedback. Good news is that my former GC got a hold of the plumber and he said we could permanently bury the cleanout. He said that, if needed, one can always snake through the 2 drains. And just for good measure I am asking the mason to keep it accessible under the brick.
Thanks all

Reaction score
he said we could permanently bury the cleanout
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

It's better to have a cleanout and not need it, than to need a cleanout and not have it.

Snaking/Rooting/Rodding/Jetting is always more challenging through a drain because you have more elbows and traps to deal with

A cleanout's purpose to skip just one elbow can make the difference between a 5 minute job or a 5 hour job.

skuba

Reaction score
I think the plumber thought it was ok because the drain is right by the cleanout (see pic). Wouldn't this make a lot easier to get to the line?
There is also another cleanout in the garage at other end of the house.

If I get a strong opinion here that I should have access to the cleanout, I will ask them to do it. But for aesthetic reasons, I would prefer not to have if I don't need to.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8965.jpg
    IMG_8965.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 234

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Have your mason brick around the clean out. Then put a loose brick over the clean out. If you mason is good he can probably fake the mortar joint. Then drill a hole in the loose brick and put a red plastic in the hole. Then if you need to pull the loose brick out you can run a screw in and pull it out.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to snake through a cleanout, not throrgh a trap. I’d bring it to the surface so it is apparent that it is a cleanout. Eventually you might sell the house and the new owner will not know there is a cleanout under the bricks . You might get old and forget etc. You die and the wife pays some rooter guy a fortune trying to find the cleanout. Your kids might end up with the house and no body can find the cleanout.

Reaction score
I think the plumber thought it was ok because the drain is right by the cleanout (see pic).
I'd get a new plumber and not a dumb one. Cleanouts exist for a purpose.
There is also another cleanout in the garage at other end of the house.
Yes, and? Do you know how hard it is to Snaking/Rooting/Rodding/Jetting over a longer distance, as opposed to a very short one next to a clog? It can mean a $100 job or a $1000 job.
If I get a strong opinion here that I should have access to the cleanout, I will ask them to do it. But for aesthetic reasons, I would prefer not to have if I don't need to.
I see. Then totally ignore what #8 wrote.

skuba

Reaction score
Hi, for the many reasons stated before we have decided to leave the cleanout alone and accessible in case of emergency, but cover it with a brick. The brick won't seat on mortar and can be easily removed just by breaking the joints.

Is it ok to leave the plastic plug or should it be of a different material? The cleanout is cast iron, do we need to add anything (to the treads?) to make sure the plug is tight and sealed? Any last advice before we put the brick in?

Thanks so much

Attachments

• IMG_9016.jpg
    IMG_9016.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 238

Reach4

Reaction score
You could put the brick in with sand rather than mortar. You could suck the sand out with a vacuum cleaner if you want to access the cleanout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks